U46DJ channel gain bug thread

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
mustgroove
U46DJ channel gain bug thread

Post by mustgroove » Tue May 02, 2006 7:41 am

OK my mouse cursor is currently hovering over the "checkout" button for a U46DJ, but all this talk about driver bugs with channel gains is throwing my vibe all off :)

Can I ask some questions of you good people to ascertain what the situation is?

1) Which channel has its gain locked? One of the phono inputs on the front, or one of the outputs?

2) Is the interface useable in the face of this bug?

3) Are there any workarounds for the bug?

Thanks for your help guys :)
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: U46DJ channel gain bug thread

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue May 02, 2006 6:57 pm

mustgroove wrote:
1) Which channel has its gain locked? One of the phono inputs on the front, or one of the outputs?
The input channels 3&4 currently do not have any gain controls. When you connect a standard DJ turntable to these inputs in "phono" mode, they are too sensitive and so distortion is introduced. Fortunately, the Ms Pinky signal is robust enough that you can still use these inputs. You will notice, however, that the error metric reading on channels 3&4 is much higher than on channels 1&2.

mustgroove wrote:
2) Is the interface useable in the face of this bug?
I think so. I still use it myself all the time. The convenience of being able to connect my 1200's directly to the box without additional phono preamps is just too attractive a feature. And as I've said a million times, even the over-driven input channels 3&4 will work, they're just not working as well as they could work if someone with any intelligence had designed that box.

mustgroove wrote:
3) Are there any workarounds for the bug?
Actually yes. You could take a couple of 100 kOhm resistors and wire them in series with the inputs to channels 3&4. A fun and easy little soldering project for you :wink:
mustgroove

Post by mustgroove » Wed May 03, 2006 5:21 am

Thanks for that, doesn't sound as bad as I thought... a couple more questions though (sorry!)

1) the phono inputs are the front inputs, correct? 1/4" stereo jacks?

2) if they are the front inputs, do the gain knobs not also work for the phono inputs? do they make any difference in the face of the 0db 3/4 gain bug?

3) Has anyone tried using this interface with the ASIO4ALL drivers? maybe using those drivers rather than the (clearly dodgy) standard ones would alter the behaviour of inputs 3/4?

Cheers :)
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed May 03, 2006 6:06 am

mustgroove wrote:1) the phono inputs are the front inputs, correct? 1/4" stereo jacks?
No. The phono inputs are on the back and are the standard RCA type jack for turntable/phono connections.
mustgroove wrote:
2) if they are the front inputs, do the gain knobs not also work for the phono inputs? do they make any difference in the face of the 0db 3/4 gain bug?
No. The gain knobs on the front apply only to the mic/instrument inputs.
mustgroove wrote:
3) Has anyone tried using this interface with the ASIO4ALL drivers? maybe using those drivers rather than the (clearly dodgy) standard ones would alter the behaviour of inputs 3/4?
That I don't know. But I doubt very seriously that ASIO4ALL will help with the issue of there not being a gain control on inputs 3&4. ASIO4ALL is, if I'm not mistaken, just a means of concatenating individual ASIO devices into aggregate ASIO devices... much like the Aggregate Device Editor in OSX Tiger.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 04, 2006 7:28 pm

I have a problem with my new U46DJ, I cannot only hear the track but also the MsPinky Vinyl signal, so thru seems to be turned on. I turned it off with the pc software, reconnected the interface to my mac and... it's on again.

Is there a way to turn thru off in OS X?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Turn down input gains using Audio/MIDI Setup

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri May 05, 2006 3:09 am

Use the Audio/MIDI Setup Utility of OSX. Select the settings for the U46DJ and turn down the input gains all the way. That should get rid of the control signal getting through problem. Oddly enough, turning down the input gains all the way in Audio/MIDI Setup does not affect the signal level going into the Ms Pinky (and others) software inputs.