No output from U46DJ

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
roryd
No output from U46DJ

Post by roryd » Sun May 07, 2006 6:01 pm

I've got the Ms. Pinky vinyl working with the U46DJ to my Powerbook G4, and it can index the mp3 files fine as I move the vinyl etc. but I'm gettin no output from the U46DJ to my mixer. I have tried both the phono and line/cd inputs to my mixer, but not a peep from either.

I thought it might be the volume levels set on the U46DJ output channels, so I double checked in them using the Windows XP interface, but no luck.

Here are some images of my settings.

Is there something fundamental I'm missing?
roryd

Post by roryd » Sun May 07, 2006 8:00 pm

Actually if I mark in the audio inputs from the U46DJ as 'Thru' in Audio MIDI Setup, the mixer starts to see to action. It gets a signal which is half the mp3 in Blinky Toy/Maxi Patch and half the frequencies from the timecode vinyl (quite noisy!). I shouldn't have to mark the inputs as 'Thru' though, should I?

In Maxi Patch, in Audio Settings, if I assign the outputs 1-2 for inputs 3-4 (in the yellow big at the bottom), I get a perfect sound signal (from the mp3) from outputs 3-4. But I still get the timecode vinyl frequencies on channels 1-2.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

the U46DJ requires OSX 10.4.X

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue May 09, 2006 1:04 am

First: What version of OSX are you running? To use the U46DJ effectively with OSX, you need to have OSX Tiger 10.4.X. That is because Tiger has the ability to create what are called "Aggregate Devices", combinations of the inputs and outputs from multiple audio devices. And it turns out that to make the U46DJ work with Ms Pinky software, you'll need to create one of these Aggregate Devices. Read about it here:

http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237

Second: No you should not check the "thru" boxes in Audio/MIDI Setup for the U46DJ. And you should leave all the input volume settings in the Audio/MIDI setup for the U46DJ at their minimum level. Be sure, however, that your settings for the U46DJ do NOT have the OUTPUT volume settings minimized. That could be why you're not getting any signal out from it.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue May 09, 2006 1:02 pm

Ha! Exactly the same problem I have... and nope, I do not have the output settings minimized, I tried everything but I can't get it to work... really sucks...
roryd

Post by roryd » Tue May 09, 2006 2:46 pm

Using 10.4.6, yep I created the Aggregate Device as per the instructions.

As for the volume levels, if you check the link to my images above, you'll see when I select the U46DJ USB device in the Audio MIDI Setup I can set the volume levels (which I have up to the top). However when I select the U46DJ Aggregate Device in the Audio MIDI Setup I cannot set the volume levels (and they appear greyed out at zero). Is this the way it's supposed to be?

If that's not what's wrong, then the only other thing it could be would be my Audio Settings in Maxi Patch. What is the difference between the Input Channel 1/2 and Output Channel 1/2 dropdowns (with the override tick box) and the Audio File Deck 1/2 IN/OUTs (in yellow) at the bottom?

Thanks for your help!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue May 09, 2006 6:14 pm

Questions:

1) What does it say in the Maxi-Patch "status" window when you start up Maxi-Patch with the U46DJ connected?

2) Are you able to get audio output from the U46DJ using any other audio applications? BinkyToy for example? And if you set the default system audio output to be the U46DJ, can you then hear anything coming out if you play a song in iTunes? If even iTunes can't play audio out from your U46DJ, then the only thing I can think of is that you may have a defective unit.

3) Are you running the U46DJ from USB bus power, or from an external "wall wart" power adapter? I do recommend strongly the latter.

I've posted a 1-page summary of exactly how I got the U46DJ to work perfectly for me under OSX Tiger here:

http://www.mspinky.com/setup_slideshow/ ... Setup.html

I hope this helps.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue May 09, 2006 6:22 pm

Hey dlpinkstah,

in this screenshot: http://www.mspinky.com/gifs/U46DJ_AudioMIDISetup.gif it seems like all the check boxes for Mute and Thru are grayed out. Compare it with my screenshot please, I can check them, at least some: http://andi.gutepage.net/U46DJ.jpg

Where does this difference come from? Is that perhaps the reason for you having no problem and roryd and me having a problem? :D

This is so strange, someone help us please... :D
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue May 09, 2006 6:30 pm

Yeah, that is strange. I have no idea why all the "mute" and "thru" buttons are grayed out on my setup, and not on yours.... :cry:

1) Are you using the U46DJ with USB bus power, or with an external power supply????? Please don't try it just with bus power. Get an external "wall wart" power supply for it.

2) Another thing that was recently pointed out to me... if you're not logged in as administrator, none of your Aggregate Device settings can be saved so you basically can't use the U46DJ.

3) Here's another thing to try: Install the U46DJ drivers and everything on a WinXP machine. Open the WinXP control panel for the U46DJ and make all the proper adjustments to input and output level settings there. Then take the U46DJ back to your Mac and see if you notice any difference.

4) Can you get audio to play out the U46DJ using any other audio applications besides Maxi-Patch?????
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue May 09, 2006 6:37 pm

Thanks dlpinkstah for your fast post, I'll try to answer your questions as fast as possible now too ;)

1) I tried both and I will try it again with external power now, but if I remember correctly my system didn't recognize the unit WITH external power and right after I pulled the power plug it showed up...

2) What do you mean by administrator? You mean login as root or just with a normal account with administration privileges? Second thing is what I am doing here.

3) I tried this but as reported in another thread it didn't change anything.

4) Sorry I haven't answered this before, yes this works without a problem.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue May 09, 2006 6:44 pm

Ok to 1) I just tried the external adaptor again and it doesn't change anything, the device is still recognized by the system but I still have the same problem as without external power supply. Strange.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue May 09, 2006 6:56 pm

Three more things:

1) What are the volume level settings you've made in the audio file player regions of Maxi-Patch?? Bring the slider labeled "dB" all the way up. Do you see the VU meter animating when you play a track?

2) What are the EQ settings you've made in the audio file player regions of Maxi-Patch? Try turning EQ OFF.

3) Quit Maxi-Patch. Now delete all Maxi-Patch preferences files in "YourUserName/Library/Preferences/". In that folder, you should find some folders with names like "Max 4 Preferences Folder" and/or "Maxi-Patch_Prefs Folder". Delete both of those folders. Restart Maxi-Patch.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 10, 2006 12:23 pm

I used BinkyToy, but yes it shows output, it just seems like I turn off any output of the soundcard when I uncheck the THRU buttons.

I also tried your suggestions with Maxi-Patch but it didn't help, sorry.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Does it work with BinkyToy

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed May 10, 2006 5:13 pm

What are your results when using BinkyToy with the U46DJ Aggregate Device?
roryd

Post by roryd » Wed May 10, 2006 7:52 pm

dlpinkstah wrote:1) What does it say in the Maxi-Patch "status" window when you start up Maxi-Patch with the U46DJ connected?
Jitter 1.5.2 installed

coll: no file BatchFolders

coll: no file SoundFolders

coll: no file QTFolders

coll: finished, 0 lines

coll: finished, 1 lines

jit.gl.render: building GL on window "maxi-patch"...

dlpinkstah wrote:
2) Are you able to get audio output from the U46DJ using any other audio applications? BinkyToy for example? And if you set the default system audio output to be the U46DJ, can you then hear anything coming out if you play a song in iTunes? If even iTunes can't play audio out from your U46DJ, then the only thing I can think of is that you may have a defective unit.
OK, this is wierd. In Windows, I can play out from Winamp to the U46DJ no problem (once it's selected as the default output in the Control Panel). In OSX, I get no sound whatsoever coming from the U46DJ *unless* I select 'Thru' for the channel and the monitor channel in the Audio MIDI Setup.

dlpinkstah wrote:3) Are you running the U46DJ from USB bus power, or from an external "wall wart" power adapter? I do recommend strongly the latter.
I'm running from USB at the moment, I'll get a power adapter as soon as possible, but a) Andrew is still having the same problem using a power adapter and b) sound output works in Windows.

dlpinkstah wrote:I've posted a 1-page summary of exactly how I got the U46DJ to work perfectly for me under OSX Tiger here:
Thanks a lot for taking the time to put this together - it was very helpful to compare settings. (One small thing I did notice, when you've the sliders up to full for Output Channels you get get 0.12dB out, whereas Andrew and I get 0.00dB... it's a small difference though.)

dlpinkstah wrote:1) *snip* Bring the slider labeled "dB" all the way up. Do you see the VU meter animating when you play a track?

2) *snip* Try turning EQ OFF.

3) Quit Maxi-Patch. Now delete all Maxi-Patch preferences files
Tried all these, no difference.

As Andrew said, the only way in OSX I can get sound out of the U46DJ is by clicking the channels as 'Thru'. What effect does this actually have? When I play a tune in iTunes, surely it should go straight to the output channels and not depend on a 'Thru' setting on the input channels?

BTW, when I get it working on one deck (by clicking the Thru buttons), even though the vinyl frequencies come through, the latency for controlling the mp3 is unbelievable!! It's like the real thing, only so much cooler! Can't wait to get this working fully... ;)
timmm

Post by timmm » Sat May 27, 2006 7:02 pm

hi, i got the same problem.

it just doesnt give me any output, even when i'm playing a track via itunes.

that's strange, because before i did all these mspinky settings, the u46 worked with itunes and stuff.

any ideas?