U46DJ Hell under XP!

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
Robotkid
U46DJ Hell under XP!

Post by Robotkid » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:39 am

Hey there,

My new U46DJ box is about to make me cry. I've gotten it to work fine on a Mac, and now I'm trying to get it working on my XP laptop with Maxi-Patch. I have the latest drivers from the ESI site. I've got a gig on Saturday that I was really hoping to dazzle the crowd with some Ms. Pinky video scratching. :(

Issues:

For some reason, none of the U46DJ options give me input or output channels under Audio Settings in Maxi-Patch_AV. They all come up as "not connected 1" "not connected 2" etc.

If I use ASIO4ALL, I can get the U46DJ inputs to show up, but no outputs. With this setting, I have successfully done some scratching, but of course, you can't hear the audio.

Any ideas? (This all sounds like bugs in the card, rather than your software, by the way...)

Thanks for your help in advance. I really appreciate it!

-Josh

PS: Dlpinkstah, After seeing some similar XP woes on this forum, do you think you should update the "Ego Systems U46DJ works great with Ms Pinky on WinXP!" sticky to report some issues there? I picked up this card because of your recommendation...I know itÌs not your fault that this card is buggy, but it might be time to change your glowing approval? Up to you...Thnx.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

It works.... conditionally....

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:29 pm

Sorry to hear of your woes with the U46DJ. It sounds like what you're experiencing is similar to problems I've experienced with the U46. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, these bugs are entirely the fault of shitty drivers provided by our wonderful friends at ESI and there is nothing I can do about it. They've been promising new drivers for months now, and nothing's been delivered. Let's all keep pestering them and maybe they'll actually give us all a break.

I have, however, been pretty successful in working around these problems. I have an HP 2.0 GHz WinXP SP2 machine that I use Maxi-Patch_AO+AV on and it actually works great (even with the U46DJ) though I have to do a couple of weird things (which I shouldn't have to, but anyway...)

0) I always run the U46DJ with an external (wall-wart) power supply. Never run it on USB bus power.

1) If I start up Maxi-Patch and find that it can't see the input or output channels, I just quit the app and restart it. Oddly enough, that often seems to help. Once I restart the app (maybe quitting and restarting a couple of times) eventually the input channels are seen by the app and I can get audio into/out from the program successfully.

2) I have to quit just about everything else that is running on the machine besides Maxi-Patch, or there are conflicts with the U46DJ. And I mean EVERYTHING... I even have to turn off my WLAN adapter and Network Places. I've found that having an active ethernet connection to my network does not interfere... but forget about having an active Wireless connection. Pops, clicks, and glitches will ensue if you do.

Another couple of questions for you:

a) have you tried djDecks with the U46DJ, with the Ms Pinky vinyl plugin?

b) have you tried using the Pinky Pluggo inside a VST host app running on the U46DJ?
Robotkid

Post by Robotkid » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:06 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, dlpinkstah.

a) have you tried djDecks with the U46DJ, with the Ms Pinky vinyl plugin?

I don't have djDecks, but I've tried the U46DJ with Av Mixer Pro...some issues.

b) have you tried using the Pinky Pluggo inside a VST host app running on the U46DJ?

I haven't tried this yet, because my main interest is scratching videos.

Sounds like I'm screwed for this weekend... :evil:

-J
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

A few more things to try!

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:07 pm

A few more things to try:

1) Delete all the Maxi-Patch preferences files found in: "C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Cycling '74\". Just clear out all the files you may find in that folder.

2) Delete the internal Maxi-Patch preference files found in the same folder with the application itself. These files are called "maxi-patch.xml", "audio_folders", and "QT_folders".

3) Open the ESI U46DJ control panel. What does it show you????

4) What version of Maxi-Patch are you running? And what version of QuickTime do you have installed on your machine?

Sometimes the above mentioned preferences files get corrupted and I've found that just deleting them can get rid of problems.

I'm really sorry it's not behaving for you. I'm sitting here right now running Maxi-Patch version 3.6.3 on my WinXP HP laptop with the U46DJ and it's fabulous. :cry: