WARNING: U46DJ Problems with OSX

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
dlpinkstah
Site Admin
WARNING: U46DJ Problems with OSX

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:38 pm

Recently I have read lots of problems with the U46DJ under OSX (both Tiger 10.4 and 10.3.9). This is really strange to me because I have two U46DJ units, and they both work great with OSX Tiger 10.4.X and 10.3.9. Another strange detail is that with the units which don't work, you have the ability to check the "thru" button when you open the Audio/MIDI Setup settings panel for the U46DJ. On my units, the "thru" buttons are all grayed out and cannot be accessed. So the only thing I can imagine which is causing the problem is a new (and defective) version of the firmware which ships inside the U46DJ. The units I have were purchased in the USA in 2005 from floridamusic.com. Apparently, the defective units are concentrated in Europe and the UK, purchased in 2006. So, if you are in the Europe or UK, please beware of purchasing a U46DJ if you intend to use it with OSX. It simply may not work. And since ESI refuses completely to do an adequate job supporting this product, there is really nothing we can do except to stop buying it if you plan to use OSX. I apologize to those of you who took my recommendation and already purchased the U46DJ to use with OSX. If you can, please return the unit to the seller and choose another audio converter. :cry:
djone37

Re: WARNING: U46DJ Problems with OSX

Post by djone37 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:01 am

Lucky I waited to buy one... now I'll have to look for another card.

Thanks for the update!
Jack Rock

Post by Jack Rock » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:47 pm

What!!! Crap!!!

I ordered one from Thomann.de on the 31st of May and got it a few days later.

But because of a UPS f*ck-up I didn't get my mspinky-vinyls untill today - so now it's too late to send the useless esi-box back!

111 Euros out of the window... :evil: aaargghh...
hatchmatik

woa

Post by hatchmatik » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:15 pm

wait dude if you live in canada, you are most likely gon buy the unit from the us so you should be okay right ?

hmmm

i just sold my maya 44 cause it wasn't working great, and now im stuck waiting for serato to release asio (well core-audio cause im mac) drivers for their box and i was thinking of getting the udj ... .hmmmm i wonder if the problem with osx would affect me if i buy the unit in the us...
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

I think the US U46DJ is OK

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:12 pm

As I said previously, I have TWO units of U46DJ which I bought from floridamusic.com and they both work really great with OSX 10.4.6, Combo Update. I am very concerned, though, because the units going to the guys in europe apparently don't work the same :cry:

I would say if you buy it in the US you will probably get a good one... and if not you can return it, right?
hatchmatik

let's hope

Post by hatchmatik » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:34 pm

i bought the serato in the end thinking that the sL1 box would be compatible with pinky vinyls and the maxi patch but it seems as though people are stuck waiting for the asio (core audio for us mac users) to be released for that to be possible, but no one seems to know when this will happen, so i found a used u46dj on ebay and got it for 200$ canadian shipped so i dunno. hopefully it will work and i can get rid of it if and when rane.serato release those drivers.
zamrate

Post by zamrate » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:01 pm

I got exactly the mentioned problem, I have THRU buttons I can desactivate in the Audio MIDI Setup, but instead of deactivating the THRU as it should be, Outputs are muted. My unit serialnumber starts with ESJ051. I think the ESJ050 are the old series that should work.

To anyone: Never ever buy ESI products. Buying ESI asks for trouble.
Dan

U46DJ Control Panel Update for OSX

Post by Dan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:42 pm

I don't know if it's been posted already, but that "thru" noise on the newer U46DJ's can now be muted in the new control panel app. released by ESI:

http://www.esi-audiotechnik.com/downloa ... -v1_01.dmg

this *really* would've helped a long time ago, but it's still nice to finally have this POS work with my mac.