M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Any good?

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
TheBrick
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Any good?

Post by TheBrick » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:07 am

Hello People,

I need some advice and I am by no means an audio expert and am just starting out with this digita Dj game. I have had a search and can't find any info on the forum about this sound card

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... ce=froogle

Has any one used this card with miss pinky? Do that stats look like it is up for th job of a piss pinky setup?

I also have another stupid question. how do you kno if the adio converter you are using does not take a direct turtable connection and hence need a pre amp? Would this be stated in the spechs some where?

Lastly a question for out side this sub forum. hs any one had ago at running mspinky under wine in linux? I know the solution is to buy a mac but I can't afford a new computer just for audio work.

I am sure these are stupid questions but hay.

Cheers

T
OverDrive

Post by OverDrive » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:58 pm

I just picked up an M-Audio FireWire Audiophile, and I would assume they're similar, if not the same, chipsets (a few other forums I've read say that the chipset in the Audiophile's are the same used in the Final Scratch 2's scratch amp). I'll let you know how it works out when I get my setup going.

Your turntables should say whether they output a line level, if they don't (my Stanton STR8-80s are switchable to Line or Phono). If they don't say anything about a 'line out' chances are you'll need a preamp.

Finally, I'm for sure going to be trying to get something kicking for Linux -- whether it be an attempt to run something under wine, or an attempt to write a plugin for an existing audio program using the SDK (XMMS perhaps). But having not taken a look at the code yet, I'm not sure how hard it'll be ... again I'll let you know.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Ms Pinky SDK will be ported to Linux.

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:55 am

I 100% intend to build the SDK code for Linux. I actually did a cursory build of the SDK code on a friend's Linux machine. It built without errors, but I think there was something funky going on due to the fact that some of the source files are .c and some are .cpp. A friend of Ms Pinky's in Germany was trying to link the built lib into something else and there were problems... so I have a little work to do on that.
TheBrick

Post by TheBrick » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:51 pm

Overdrive: thanks for the info yeah, keep me posted on how your setup goes. I have just come back off holiday and being a poor phd student I need to do some saving before I get my audio set up sorted!

dlpinkstah: Cool for the info on the linux SDK sound good. I am by no means a coding guru but I have had some problems before with mixxing laguages in linux in a program and found fiddling with the make file libary paths etc sorted my problems but they were only linking problems.But like I said I am by no means a coding guru. Also I don't know if it is worth you looking at winelib ( http://www.winehq.com/site/winelib ) if your have heard of it. It is by the wine people and it (in theory) allows you to compile win32 code on linux by replacing some of the header files allowing you to have mock win32 calls in your code. I have never used it but it may help with porting ??
Dj Nab

Post by Dj Nab » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:12 am

I Have a M-Audio Quatro would that work ?
am i gona need the preamp thing(dont know what that is) for each turntable?
Viva The Vinyl !!
jimmymus

Post by jimmymus » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:59 pm

You need one preamp per table, yes. I would reccomend a preamp for you but I'm currently doing the research myself.

Prelimary research suggests that the quality of the preamp is not super important because the Ms. Pinky records are only transmitting tracking data. Subtle tonal differences are not going to be lost.