Connection Options for E-MU 1820M & MsP

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
Tuffer
Connection Options for E-MU 1820M & MsP

Post by Tuffer » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:46 pm

I am getting an E-MU 1820M audio interface, and I was concerned about the connection options for MsP.

I am strictly interested in this system for the vinyl-digital emulation (for now). I just want to play my dubs & self-produced tunes, using my turntables to achieve a more traditional feel of playing vinyl.

The 1820M has a phono input with RIAA preamp built in, so that may take care of one turntable (but may not be an option, because the interface will not be directly near the tables, but closer to the computer, which is across the studio, so the 1200's RCA's will not reach it, without an extension cable).

But for the other table (or even for both) would the front panel mic inputs work. Here are the specs:

Combo Microphone Preamplifier/Line Inputs (2)

Type: TFProÙ combination microphone preamp and line input

Frequency Response (20Hz - 20kHz): +0.8/-0.1dB

Dynamic Range (A-weighted, 1kHz min gain): 100dB

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted, min gain): 100dB

THD+N (1kHz at -1dBFS, min gain): -94dB (.002%)

Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz min gain, -1dBFS): < -115dB

Line Input:

- Input Impedance: 10Kohm

- Max Level: +17dBV (19.2dBu)

- Gain Range -12 to +28dB

Microphone Preamplifier:

- Input Impedance: 330ohms

- Max Level: -12dBV (-9.8dBu)

- Gain Range: +10 to +50dB

- Phantom Power: 48V

AND/OR

Would the rear panel 1/4 balanced inputs work without an external preamp? How about with an external preamp? (preferably without)

Here are the specs:

Analog Line Inputs (6)

Type: servo-balanced, DC-coupled, low-noise input circuitry

A/D converter: AK5394A

Level (software selectable):

- Professional: +4dBu nominal, 20dBu max (balanced)

- Consumer: -10dBV nominal, 6dBV max (unbalanced)

Frequency Response (20Hz-20kHz): +/- 0.05dB

Dynamic Range (1kHz, A-weighted): 120dB

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted): 120dB

THD+N (1kHz at -1dBFS): -110dB (.0003%)

Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz at -1dBFS): < -115dB

I also have a few questions regarding the functionality of the software during DJ performances.

How is the next track to be played selected? Is there any way to choose the track, without interfacing with the mouse & computer? For example, I believe SSL has a feature that allows you to cue the needle to a certain point on the record & virtually "scroll" through your tunes & pick up the needle, drop at the beginning to cue up the selected track. Does MsP have a similar feature?

It would also be necessary for me to switch between my digital files & my vinyl tunes in a set. How exactly does this occur in the software, and hardware I'd be using (E-MU 1820M)?

How is the setup calibration (if there is any)? Say, for instance, I were to bring my laptop, with MsP, and my audio interface (1820m, with optional CardBus PC Card), to a club for a set at 1am, and the existing gear is all set up. With the exeption of the wiring configuration, what else is needed to get this up & running on a club or party system, if your not there at the beginning of the night to configure it when the setup of the tables/sound is being done?

Answers to these questions are much appreciated. I've been researching this setup for some time now, and I'm on the verge of purchase. I've weighed my options, and this system seems to be the way to go (above FS & SSL).

I also really appreciate the manner in which this system is being packaged, and how versatile it is allowed to be.

Much thanks to the MsP collective.

Image[/img]
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:27 am

Regarding the E-MU card's inputs: You could use any of these inputs, but on the line-level inputs you'll be better off using a phono preamp to boost the signal before entering the ADC. Several users have reported getting very good results using Ms Pinky with microphone preamps rather than phono, but I still recommend phono preamps. The phono preamps don't have to be very hi-fi. We recommend several affordable phono preamps here:

http://www.mspinky.com/setup_slideshow/ ... Setup.html

The most important thing is just to keep your turntable grounded properly to avoid hum, and keep as high a degree of stereo separation on the signal as you can. Whatever you do, DO NOT try to mix left+right phono signals in any way to reduce the number of input channels. The Ms Pinky control signal relies heavily on stereo separation.

Re: turntable-controlled scrolling through music collection: No. Sorry. With Ms Pinky you'll have to do some mousework to select tracks. In our Maxi-Patch program, you can map a MIDI note sequence to select files from a given external folder on your harddrive. You can select the folder that is MIDI note mapped from a pop-up menu with the mouse, and other than that you'll have get to clickin' to select your tracks.

Re: Mixing in normal music vinyl with a digital vinyl set: The way I do that is by using the "audio thru" switch in the software that simply allows whatever you're playing into the inputs to be mixed str8 thru to the outputs.

And finally, keep in mind that you could, if you're a programmer, create your own Ms Pinky-based DJ app using either Max/MSP or our C/C++ SDK.
Tuffer

Post by Tuffer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:36 am

Great Info. Your quick reply is much appreciated.

So it seems that for studio use, I would be using phono preamps with my 1820m. Now for live shows, I believe a good setup that would require the least amount of external gear would be the U46DJ. You're review of it on XP really steered me towards that method. I especially like how the unit has built in phono preamps.

When you say that to play standard vinyl tracks you just switch to audio thru in the software, that would then keep the phono signal as a line level signal back into the mixer? Do you see any positives to feeding the mixer a line level, or would there be any noticable (or barely noticable) difference in the sound, now that it is a line level processed through the pc?

I think this part of the original questions was missed, "How is the setup calibration (if there is any)? Say, for instance, I were to bring my laptop, with MsP, and my audio interface (1820m, with optional CardBus PC Card), to a club for a set at 1am, and the existing gear is all set up. With the exeption of the wiring configuration, what else is needed to get this up & running on a club or party system, if your not there at the beginning of the night to configure it when the setup of the tables/sound is being done?

As for the SDK, would it be possible to write a program that interprets a certain section of the vinyl, say the end of side A or B, or maybe even the entirety of side B (or which side you intend on not using the most), as a controller for the track selection window? I guess it would determine if every one of the 155 location points per rotation were unique. I would imagine that they would have to be.

In that case, you just just assign the scroll & selection functions as the scrolling corresponding to the particular timecodes between a defined section of the vinyl, and the selection feature being coded to the beginning of the record.

What are the differences in the sides of the records? Is one 45 & one 33 1/3? If so, what does that matter, since the digital files are set at a set bpm & do not need to be selected 45 & 33?

Or are the sides the same rotation setting? Do the two sides have the same timecode as each other, or do they have a unique one per side?

Part of me inquiring this much is for my own knowledge, and the other part is so I can field questions from people that I may be recommending this product to. Thanks again.