U46DJ - power surge on USB hub?

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
mustgroove
U46DJ - power surge on USB hub?

Post by mustgroove » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:24 am

I've got a Macbook, and every time I turn on the U46DJ (bus-powered), Windows & OS X tell me that there's been a power surge on the USB hub and it's shutting down the port in question... Thing is, it never actually shuts the port down and I can go on to use it in peace & quiet...

But today I bought myself a spiffy 7-port externally-powered USB hub to expand the Macbook from its paltry 2 ports... so I plug in the U46DJ to the hub, and it comes up with the same message again, but this time Windows shuts down the port it was connected to in the hub...

(a) is there a way to prevent the power surge (other than using a wall wart for the U46DJ)?

(b) is there a way to prevent Windows from shutting down the port on the hub?

Obviously an easy solution is to use the U46DJ on the other Macbook USB port, and it does in fact work perfectly that way, but I'm just trying to see if I can make it work with the hub as well...
zamrate

Post by zamrate » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:51 am

Under windows, you can for every port disable the "energy management" (don't know if it is called like that in english) of each USB Hub.
ruklaw

Post by ruklaw » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:19 am

I'm pretty sure that they recommend you plug your u46dj directly into your pc- which makes sense at the sort of low latency that is needed for vinyl control; running through a hub as well is bound to have some impact on the latency of the connection.
In terms of the power surge, you don't have phantom power for the mic turned on do you? Thats the +48v button next to the mic input- i remember reading that its a bit iffy using that off USB bus power, hence the socket for a wall wart.