Audio Interfaces (some comments)

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
klangfreund

Post by klangfreund » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:39 am

paulheu wrote:The firewire product from RME require the new (doublespeed) FireWire standard

wrong. It supports FireWire 800 (and I'm quite sure this is needed if you wanna connect three such fireface devices to the same port).

But the system-requirements are

FireWire Port 400 (1394a) or 800 (1394b)

btw: the pdf-manual for this interface is now available from RMEs homepage.

RME has also released some statements about different FW800 compatibility issues in soft- and hardware http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/index.htm.

for me, this device looks quite perfect... but i'm also into recording quite a lot and not only DJing.
Pjotr G

Post by Pjotr G » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:42 pm

Just thought I'd mention I got the system running with E-mu 1820m soundcard. Maybe interesting for those owning such a card and contemplating buying pinky. Little extra; the 1820 m already has one phone pre-amp. My dj mixer has 3 chans and a "send" so I put the other turntable on that chan and sent the preamped signal from send to soundcard, and done. No additional preamps required :)
All rhythm evolves around the kick...

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:49 am

I just read that the hercules dj console is now for mac also

so would this be a decent audio interface to use?
paulheu

Post by paulheu » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:46 pm

IMO it's a toy.. A good toy, but a toy nevertheless
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
dualcorn

Post by dualcorn » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:25 pm

Just adding a word of caution to ScratchAmp recyclers...

I tried to run Binky with a Stanton ScratchAmp (v1.x) and, while it worked, I had horrible clicks, hums, and whines to contend with -- especially in the phono through. Just today I gave up fighting with it and bought a Maya44 usb and 2 DeeJayPre's. It's a lot of clutter, but as a bonus, you can use the TRS outs on the preamps as a splitters if you like to mix real wax into your set.
lo-fi

Re: MOTU mkII 828

Post by lo-fi » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:52 pm

lo-fi wrote:
korb wrote:MOTU mkII 828

works perfectly, great sound quality, super low latency

I second the sound quality and latency, BUT,

I have experienced some dropouts with it when using Logic Pro or iTunes. Sometimes audio just stops and it requires switching off/on, and/or a reboot of the software. Other times audio continues to play, but it sounds like 8-bit, 11khz or something, again requiring a restart of the software. I have only been using MsPinky since this morning, and already I've had one drop-out. This occured while I was configuring the set-up and switching between about 5 programs and stuff, and everything was stable during the rest of the day with normal DJ-use.

Let me just say these dropouts haven't been back, except once or twice when running a zillion programs at the same time, after the G4 has been on for days and days etc. In other words, only when you would expect something like that to happen.

I have played gigs with MsPinky, and on those occasions I just run BinkyToy and iTunes (for finding stuff quickly to drag & drop), I've had NO problems during regular use.
revjason

maudio 410

Post by revjason » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:02 pm

here's a question.....since the records are controlling the software is it necessary to have a stereo signal coming from both turntables? I would assume that both left and right signals coming from the pinky records is the same, so that being said could you still use the maudio 410 but only take one channel from each turntable?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Left != Right channel signal

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:20 am

Actually the left and right channel signals on the MsPinky vinyl are different from each other and complimentary to each other. Both are necessary to get any useful functionality out of MsPinky. If you only use one of the signals, the first thing you'll notice is that it completely fails to discern forwards from backwards motion of the stylus. And it certainly won't be able to pick up any position information either. Sorry :cry:
Suburban

Re: Audio Interfaces (some comments)

Post by Suburban » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:30 am

A Kern wrote:A quick collection of comments regarding mobile soundcards collected from the famous Ms Pinky's Sho 'Nuf Forum

Maya44 USB

I second that motion - I just got the Maya 44 usb as well and I have no complaints. Works like a charm.

easy guys, just to let you know i picked up a maya 44 usb a few days i go, and ive just set it up this morning, with minium of fuss and its working fine on both 1210s, so thumbs up for anyone tempted by it whos on a small budget. I will let you know if i come into any problems in the long run

i am using the mayausb 44 with pinky for some months

I have been using a Maya44 USB for almost a year now. The card is amazingly stable and easy to set up, however I am really dissapointed with the card's sound reproduction.

I record all of the vinyl i purchase to .wav format using a soundblaster live platinum (yeah not the best...). Each piece of vinyl i record gets a coat of gruv glide and is recorded with an ortofon nightclub eliptical stylus.

i know exactly what the records soundlike when they are recorded and played back using the soundblaster card.

when i play the same .wav files through ms pinky using my maya44 USB, i notice a huge difference in the sound compared to my soundblaster. i usually have to crank up the bass and mids to get my recordings to sound right on larger sound systems...

i'm happy with its compactness, but i need something that sounds better, but is also relatively affordable. 700+ for a motu828 is way out of my range at this point in time...

any suggestions?
-Suburban

beatmatrix.net
paulheu

Post by paulheu » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:20 pm

IF you are on a PC (or mac with cardbus or PCI slot) and have the money to spare I'd suggest you go for the RME HDSP RPM.. I have used soundblaster cards (SB64 upto Audigy2 platinum), MAYA44USB and now the RPM and must say the latter blows anything else I heared away..

It's pricey, but IMO well worth every euro I paid for it..
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
jdpal

Post by jdpal » Sun May 01, 2005 3:41 pm

Presonus firepod is $200 cheaper (I think) than the MOTU 828mkII and has more preamps... I love mine and it works great with MsP.

ps, there are actually 11 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who dont care =p
hatchmatik

Post by hatchmatik » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:28 pm

dualcorn wrote:Just adding a word of caution to ScratchAmp recyclers...

I tried to run Binky with a Stanton ScratchAmp (v1.x) and, while it worked, I had horrible clicks, hums, and whines to contend with -- especially in the phono through. Just today I gave up fighting with it and bought a Maya44 usb and 2 DeeJayPre's. It's a lot of clutter, but as a bonus, you can use the TRS outs on the preamps as a splitters if you like to mix real wax into your set.

SO YOU SPLIT THE OUTS ONE SET BACK TO THE MIXER'S PHONO INS AND THE OTHER TO THE MAYA44 ??? THIS IS VERY SMART