Audio Interfaces (some comments)

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
A Kern
Audio Interfaces (some comments)

Post by A Kern » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:49 pm

A quick collection of comments regarding mobile soundcards collected from the famous Ms Pinky's Sho 'Nuf Forum

Maya44 USB

I second that motion - I just got the Maya 44 usb as well and I have no complaints. Works like a charm.

easy guys, just to let you know i picked up a maya 44 usb a few days i go, and ive just set it up this morning, with minium of fuss and its working fine on both 1210s, so thumbs up for anyone tempted by it whos on a small budget. I will let you know if i come into any problems in the long run

i am using the mayausb 44 with pinky for some months

Motu 828

I have a venerable MOTU 828 (not MkII) that has travelled all over the world, been dropped a couple of times (knobs on the front are broken), and has generally been used hard. It's never let me down. The sound quality certainly isn't as good as the RME, for example, but all in a very robust unit (the OSX drivers are very solid too, btw).

RME RPM (oem version of this one is used by digiscratch)

RME makes some great audio units, just be sure you realize that the RPM does not come with a PCI or PCMCIA interface card, those need to be purchased seperately and cost a bit o' green on there own.

i think that this sound card is "THE" sound card for MsPinky, as it contains everything you need (phone amp, two stero i/o and a mic pre for mcs..)in one quality pack.

i'm waiting for this unit for ages now, but when i get it (a week or so) i'll tell you all about it.

EDIROL FA-101

Ive also spotted the new edirol fa-101 which looks very tasty but is much more expensive than the 410

The Edirol FA-101 does a direct through supposedly as well, but chances are it's not even shipping yet....if that piece can do what it says it can though, it's definately a bang for the buck.

Presonus Firestation

The Presonus Firestation does a direct through, ie, doubles as a line mixer, but it blows as a Pinky interface, literally...I spent 3 weeks battling it and finally just pawned it off.

M-Audio Firewire

Trying to pick up an audio interface after problems with the infamous quattro, ive noticed the maudio 410 firewire being recommended my only question with this being - its 2 analog line inputs, the other 2 being sseprate Mic Neutriks XLR/ 1/4?h - isnt this a problem?

The M-Audio 410 FireWire can record on only two analog inputs at a time-- but it can also simultaneously record on the digital inputs (SPDIF). I put it up as a recommendation because it seems that quite a few new turntables are coming out now with digital (SPDIF) output. So with the 410 FW you could use one analog deck, and another deck with digital output. In fact, that's what I'm showing in those pictures on the "Required Physical Setup" page because the Stanton str8-100 deck has the digital outs.

Unfortunately, if you don't have a deck with digital outs, then the 410 FW will only allow you to record on two analog inputs, which means you would only be able to use one turntable... probably not what you were hoping ;-(

M-Audio Quatro

I'm shopping around for a USB card. I was wondering what the problems are with M-Audio Quatro?

Basically, it's just notoriously flakey. Would recommend you stay away from it. It's actually got pretty good sound quality- when it's working. But it has a tendency to bring down the system at the most inopportune moments...

A much better low-cost alternative is the Maya 44 USB.

M-Audio omnistudio usb

has anybody tried the m-audio omnistudio usb with the ms pinky system? It's around $350, and I was just wondering if its worth the money.

Although I haven't tested it myself, it looks great to me, Gabe. The 4-in/4-out capabilities are just what is called for if you want to do a typical 2-turntable setup with MsPinky. And hopefully M-Audio has been able to make this USB device a lot more reliable than the Quattro.

You'll still need to get phono preamps to use with this, by the way.

Lets keep this list keeps growing

Achim
Byron

Post by Byron » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:24 am

Echo Layla 24

Rock solid, no hassle, ultra low latency

RME 24/96 PST

Perfect
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Let's not forget the <<ScratchAmp>>!

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:20 pm

Just wanted to add for the benefit of those who didn't already know-- that notorious <<ScratchAmp>> thang can mos' defnitly be used with the BinkyToy app under OSX for those who just might happen to have one sitting around and not know what to do with it.. besides play a game of hockey :roll:
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:06 pm

I test ms pinky on sb audigy paltinum ex pro and works well but only test one turntable.

Now I have a RME digi PAD with behringer ADA8000 and works perfectly... two turntables of course.

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
paulheu

Re: Audio Interfaces (some comments)

Post by paulheu » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:23 am

A Kern wrote:Maya44 USB

I second that motion - I just got the Maya 44 usb as well and I have no complaints. Works like a charm.

RME RPM (oem version of this one is used by digiscratch)

RME makes some great audio units, just be sure you realize that the RPM does not come with a PCI or PCMCIA interface card, those need to be purchased seperately and cost a bit o' green on there own.

i think that this sound card is "THE" sound card for MsPinky, as it contains everything you need (phone amp, two stero i/o and a mic pre for mcs..)in one quality pack.

i'm waiting for this unit for ages now, but when i get it (a week or so) i'll tell you all about it.

I have both of these, the RPM just came in and it's awesome! People might say it's expensive, but remember this is two first class phono preamps with very good mic preamp en dual stereo out (well triple actually you must also count the headphone out)..

This is truly the best a man(or woman) can get IMO . :D
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Byron

Post by Byron » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:20 am

Forgot to mention this as well...

Soundblaster Audigy 1

It's works, tryed it with one table...worked way better than the Firestation even. Not as tight as an RME or any pro card, but it was clipping at a usable rate...15 to 20ms latency or so.

Just a side note paulheu, I can only dream that the RME multiface and digiface would stand right on top of the RPM....it's most probable that the RPM is simply a shrunken version of the two...drool, drool...
paulheu

Post by paulheu » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:37 pm

Byron wrote:Just a side note paulheu, I can only dream that the RME multiface and digiface would stand right on top of the RPM....it's most probable that the RPM is simply a shrunken version of the two...drool, drool...

I'll see about making a photo for you to drool over ..;^)
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
korb

MOTU mkII 828

Post by korb » Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:16 pm

MOTU mkII 828

works perfectly, great sound quality, super low latency
lo-fi

Re: MOTU mkII 828

Post by lo-fi » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:28 pm

korb wrote:MOTU mkII 828

works perfectly, great sound quality, super low latency

I second the sound quality and latency, BUT,

I have experienced some dropouts with it when using Logic Pro or iTunes. Sometimes audio just stops and it requires switching off/on, and/or a reboot of the software. Other times audio continues to play, but it sounds like 8-bit, 11khz or something, again requiring a restart of the software. I have only been using MsPinky since this morning, and already I've had one drop-out. This occured while I was configuring the set-up and switching between about 5 programs and stuff, and everything was stable during the rest of the day with normal DJ-use.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:39 am

Oh, let's not forget to post our systems in this thread; especially mac/pc can make a lot of difference with some company's drivers.

I'm running the 828mkII on a G4 desktop (QS), 800mhz, 768Ram. I'm thinking of getting a 12" G4 ibook for live use (1ghz, 768ram)

Are you guys running the RPM on a Mac or PC? That interface seems to be the one to go for if I don't get this 828's stability sorted - I'd hate to take it out of the studio rack for live use every time anyway.
klangfreund

Post by klangfreund » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:20 am

RME is going to release a firewire audio interface soon.

it's called FireFace 800 and more infos are available at

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/press/index.htm
Kram

M-AUDIO Omnistudio USB

Post by Kram » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 am

Any feedback on this model yet??? I really want to know if its decent quality since its a good price??
lo-fi

Post by lo-fi » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:23 pm

klangfreund wrote:RME is going to release a firewire audio interface soon.

it's called FireFace 800 and more infos are available at

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/press/index.htm

They should make a FireWire version of their RPM interface. Preferably with 'thru' ports such as found on the ScratchAmp and Rane interfaces.
klangfreund

Re: M-AUDIO Omnistudio USB

Post by klangfreund » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:30 pm

Kram wrote:Any feedback on this model yet??? I really want to know if its decent quality since its a good price??
I've not seen any reviews yet, but I'm quite sure that the quality of the hardware will be great. Well, I'm not up to date, but maybe the driver for OS X isn't as good as the one for Windows at product launch since RME has a deep knowledge in Windows driver issues...

My dealer - one of the best pro ones in Switzerland - told me that this interface will be stunnin' (he's a Mac-only guy). But that's all I know so far.

lo-fi wrote:They should make a FireWire version of their RPM interface. Preferably with 'thru' ports such as found on the ScratchAmp and Rane interfaces
For me one too, please.

Maybe they'll stop development of future Hammerfall products and go the firewire path. But we have to wait, that's for sure...
paulheu

Post by paulheu » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:50 pm

The firewire product from RME require the new (doublespeed) FireWire standard which currently is only available 'out of the box' on top of the line mac hardware. The rest of the world still goes with FW '400'.

Also at first I am guessing the FW 800 cards for laptops will be about as expensive as the RME cardbus interface is anyway so there is little advantage right now.