native instruments audio8dj

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
cyhl
native instruments audio8dj

Post by cyhl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:39 am

pinkstah, any word on this new baby?

http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... udio8dj_us

looks great on paper!

one problem is that there's no proper software mixer that comes with it... I was told by NI support that you can route everything as you want from NI softs (like Traktor); but for use with mspinky, can this be a problem?

in particular, I'm interested in running pinky pluggo in ableton live with this new baby... can I anticipate any problem?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:21 pm

Yes, it does look very good on paper.

I'm sure they want to encourage everyone to use it with their NI software. But I'll bet that they will also allow you to use it with other software (Ableton, Ms Pinky, whatever) without any problem.
cyhl

Post by cyhl » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:00 pm

so, here I am with everything I want ready to go.... I guess I'll use this thread to report my progress!

for now, I have maxi patch working with the audio-dj8, that was pretty easy!

but no success with pinky pluggo in ableton for now, dunno why... I have my pinky pluggo instance in a empty audio track... I do have an audio signal coming in from the turntable, but no vinyl tracking of any sort! hmmmmmm....
I do get some sound coming through when I use the "Faster without vinyl" preset, so I don't think it's a soundcard-related problem... must be some ableton config thingy I didn't do right... any pinky pluggo ableton users around?? (I guess I'm off to reading the pinky pluggo forum ;) )
EZ

Post by EZ » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:58 am

It would be great if you can post a snapshot of ableton w/pinky pluggo on 1 audio channel?
did ableton detected the AUDIO8 in the audio preferences?

thanks.
cyhl

Post by cyhl » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:14 am

EZ wrote:It would be great if you can post a snapshot of ableton w/pinky pluggo on 1 audio channel?
will do when I get it to work... you can ask people in the pinky pluggo forum, it seems a lot of people have it working!
EZ wrote:did ableton detected the AUDIO8 in the audio preferences?
yes, without any problem...
EZ

Post by EZ » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:31 am

I myself is using ableton 6/pinky pluggo and never had any problems configuring it.
What I meant to send snapshots is to solve your problem with pinky pluggo inside ableton.

Good day!
cyhl

Post by cyhl » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:57 am

EZ wrote:I myself is using ableton 6/pinky pluggo and never had any problems configuring it.
What I meant to send snapshots is to solve your problem with pinky pluggo inside ableton.

Good day!
ahah, sorry I'd misunderstood ;)

anyway, I got everything to work now, let the fun begin!!!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:43 am

Hey cyhl,

Glad to hear that it's working. Can you tell us what the problem was and how you solved it? I'm sure other users may run into the same issue you faced and would appreciate knowing what to do about it.

cheers!
cyhl

Post by cyhl » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:04 pm

during my first test, the monitoring setting for that audio track was on "auto", I just had to put it on "on"...
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:08 am

Hey cyhl,

Quick quesiton re the A8DJ, it seems from the manual and the NI forums, that the input modes (Timecode Vinyl, Timeode CD/Line, Phono) for Channels A and B can only be switched together, i.e. you can't run Ch.A on TC Vinyl and Ch.B on Phono (or vice versa). Is this correct? or is there some sort of routing in the control panel or something?

Thanks
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:36 pm

kbooms1w wrote:Hey cyhl,

Quick quesiton re the A8DJ, it seems from the manual and the NI forums, that the input modes (Timecode Vinyl, Timeode CD/Line, Phono) for Channels A and B can only be switched together, i.e. you can't run Ch.A on TC Vinyl and Ch.B on Phono (or vice versa). Is this correct? or is there some sort of routing in the control panel or something?

Thanks
Nevermind, figured it out. Thanks.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

please advise

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:17 pm

Excellent! Glad you figured that out. Could you pwitty please elaborate for us readers??? :wink:
kbooms1w

Re: please advise

Post by kbooms1w » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:22 pm

dlpinkstah wrote:Excellent! Glad you figured that out. Could you pwitty please elaborate for us readers??? :wink:

Sure, sorry, should have done that, but it kind of exposes my own ignorance (been DJing forever, but all this digital/computer/interface stuff is new to me), so it might all be a bit obvious to some. ;-)

As I was asking in another thread, one of my concerns was the ability to switch back and forth easily between real and TC vinyl, and while the A and B channels can only be switched in tandem on the actual interface, the cables that come with the A8DJ are set up so all you have to do is switch the phono/line switch on the mixer (which I didn't know), pretty much as I had suggested setting up in the other thread, but much cleaner with the dedicated cables that come with it.

Also figured out how to take out that extra "loop" (TT to RME to Mixer BACK to RME, sound out of RME) I was concerned about in DJ Daito Manabe's set up (not that it's some revelation), but since I have 3 channels on the Empath, I can route Ableton Live channels 1 and 2 (TTs) through the A8DJ to the mixer (as you normally would), and and 3 - 6 (maybe 8, controlled by MIDI controller ) to the Ableton's Master Out, then to channel 3 on the mixer (via 7/8 out out), then sound out of mixer, thus losing that loop. We'll see once everything is up and running (should get Ms. Pinky vinyl in a couple days).

Will have to wait until after the holidays to hook up everything (including mic and/or guitar), but hopefully I have everything figured out. I'll let you know.

Thanks again for the responses.