Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire...

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
Bandini
Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire...

Post by Bandini » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:19 pm

I recently bought an Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire mixer for use with my MacBook due to its ability to function as a regular analogue mixer. (So far I'm impressed with it and think it's a good option for a portable firewire soundcard as it has built in preamps on four of the eight channels - enough for both turntables!) The only downside is that it only receives a two channel stereo output back from the computer. As I haven't yet purchased Ms. Pinky I was hoping someone might know if there was an option to send the audio from each deck in Ms. Pinky independently to the left and right master outs on the mixer, i.e. deck one to the left channel, deck two to the right channel? Thus solving the problem of not enough outputs. Anyone?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Sell it. Get a Conectiv and an analog mixer.

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:51 pm

Re: the Alesis Multimix 8: Interesting. It looks a lot like my trusty old Mackie 1202. Too bad it only supports (2) channels output from the computer. What a waste of all that Firewire bandwidth!

Re: Using (1) single stereo pair to "derive" two separate output channels: You could do that in the BinkyToy application. You could pan Group1 out all the way left, and Group2 out all the way right. In the Maxi-Patch apps you can't pan the audio outputs so that wouldn't work. You could, however, create a custom Max/MSP patch that did do that.

Bottom line: I can't give my recommendation to this device for use with Ms Pinky. Why make your life so complicated when you could just get a Conectiv???