PreSonus Firebox

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
JammyBStard
PreSonus Firebox

Post by JammyBStard » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:38 pm

Hi All
I'd appriciate a little HW advice.
I'm looking for an external firewire convertor to use with two decks and a mixer

I'm thinking of getting the PreSonus FireBox as it looks tuff and is one of the units listed as compatible.
Anyone use one of these?
Does this device have enough ins and outs for this settup?
I'm assuming I will need 4 line ins and 4 line outs for the above but looking at the Presonus website, I would say there isnt enough in's.

If it cant cut the mustard, can anyone point me in the right direction of a small, tuff, cheap, firewire interface which will do the job?

Cheers
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:18 am

The specs say the PreSonus Firebox has 6 ins and 10 outputs, so that's certainly enough to run (2) decks with Ms Pinky.

If your decks have line-level outputs, then you can just connect them directly to the PreSonus' inputs. But if your decks only output at phono level, you'll need phono preamps to boost the signal before going into the PreSonus.
JammyBStard

Post by JammyBStard » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:02 am

From the manual though,
It states that the unit is
"Loaded with four analog inputs, including two PreSonus microphone preamplifiers and two line inputs, six balanced analog outputs, SPDIF I/O, MIDI I/O,

So If I require 4 analog inputs to connect to two decks, I would have to use the mic/instroment inputs!
Would that be possible? might it even be better as i could possibly use the pre-amp to booste the phono level.
EZ

Post by EZ » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:02 pm

I've been using FIREBOX say, 11 months now with Live 6/Pinky Pluggo.
Never had any problem so far, perfectly stable.
I tell u mate, the sound of firebox is absolutely wicked, pristine sound quality on it's price range.
But u still have 2 get (2) units of phono pre-amp.
am using the BEHRINGER Micro-Phono PP400 it runs arnd USD 20 each.(why not use the CD control, instead?)
spend some bucks on your cables & connectors, it's an investment, don't use the generic ones, trust me.

just let me know if i can be of any help.

Cheers,
JammyBStard

Post by JammyBStard » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:38 pm

Cheers EZ, thats exactly what I was looking for, confirmation it works.

I take it you have one deck into the mic inputs and one into the line-in?

Cant wait to get going!
EZ

Post by EZ » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:19 pm

I use 1/2-3/4 INS & 3/4-5/6 OUTS.
You can use the main outs for your monitor.
Watch the FIREBOX's headphone level it's really loud.

Have fun! Good Day.