Ms Pinky + Numark DM950 USB

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
gavspav
Ms Pinky + Numark DM950 USB

Post by gavspav » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:41 pm

I've been trying to get Ms Pinky to work with this USB Mixer which is basically a very cheap mixer/phone pre-amp/audio interface.

It does work to a point but the error metric is between 0.6 and 1 and it does skip about a bit.

I've tried it with a Mac and a PC with the same results. And with ASIO for all too boot. Recommended cartridges etc.

Do you think the high error metric is likely to be because of the crapness of the mixer or some other problem?

I suppose its a stupid question really.

Maybe "Has anyone else successfully used the DM950USB with Ms Pinky" would be a better one.

Thanks

Gav
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:02 am

If you're getting a high error metric it usually means there's some type of distortion on the input signal, such as clipping caused by overdriving the inputs. Do the inputs have a level (gain) control? If so, try reducing the input level settings to see if that helps.

The high error metric could also simply be due to a worn or dirty needle, or a faulty connection between your cartridge headstock and the tonearm...

Another cause could be that somewhere in the signal chain between the phono inputs and the samples going into the software, the left & right stereo channels are being inadvertantly mixed together. Since I don't know the overall signal topology of the mixer in question, it's very hard for me to say.

Bottom line: For an easier time setting up and using Ms Pinky, definitely do stick to using one of our recommended audio I/O devices... such as the Conectiv.