2 soundcards and one computer

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
talaron
2 soundcards and one computer

Post by talaron » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:34 am

Hello,
I'm Guillaume from Run Island.
I make music and softwares for my pleasure and to integrate them in my theatral or juggling shows.
I'm using a laptop with a M-audio Ozone soundcard/keyboard, 1 mic, a kaossilator synthetizer, commercial and self-made midi interfaces, and also 2 turntables with a mixer.

I'm planning to use some Ms Pinky gear for my turntables, but I wonder how to connect it:

Actually, I need at least one xlr input for mic and inputs for turntables.
Software is mainly Ableton Live

My question is:
Are there drawbacks to use a second soundcard simultaneously with my Ozone, like a Connectiv, to connect turntables to my pc ?

Or maybe should I use a more complex interface, like a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, to have all required inputs on one card ?

Thanks in advance for sharing experience and giving advices.
--
Guillaume
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:49 pm

Cool! I would love to see your show. Where do you perform?

About the audio interface: Of course the Conectiv would be great if you just want to connect your two turntables. But since you apparently need I/O for MIDI as well, then I would not suggest the M-Audio Fast Track. It might be OK, but I've heard much better response from users of the MOTU Ultralite.

You may be able to create a Frankenstein's monster setup with multiple soundcards all trying to operate simultaneously with one computer, but I'm pretty sure that is more headache than it's worth. Just go with (1) audio device that has all the inputs/outputs that you need. You might pay a little more, but it's going to be worth it.