RCA Replacement Question

A forum for topics related to the turntable/cartridge/stylus and the phono preamps used with MsPinky
trypset
RCA Replacement Question

Post by trypset » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

The RCA's on one of my decks have gone out, I am getting terrible noise inside Pinky VST and traced it to the cables. If I fiddle the cable where it connects to the pre-amp I can make the noise stop, but when I let go it immediately starts again.

If this is not the case, I am still wanting to replace the cables as they are originals on the used decks I purchased.

As far as the cables go, can I get some quality cables from Radio Shack and then just one end off and solder on? I am having trouble finding cables online that already have the shielding off with the actual wire exposed and would rather just pick some up locally. Thanks!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I'd head to Radio Shack if I were you. Buy a couple of solderable RCA plugs and break out the soldering iron...
trypset

Post by trypset » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:02 pm

I have basic soldering skills and have no problem attempting this repair to save loads of money.

So there will be some RCA that are unsolderable? Just trying to get as much info as possible because the Radio Shack peeps aren't always the most informed.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:18 am

I'd imagine they'd have solderable RCA jacks you could solder onto the ends of your cables to replace the (apparently) faulty jacks. But you never know these days what a certain Radio Shack store will carry. You'll just have to check it out.
trypset

Post by trypset » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:01 pm

word, that makes sense. I am however replacing the entire cable where it connects to the circuit board, not just the jacks. I have updates this weekend after I attempt the repair.
trypset

Post by trypset » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:55 pm

so, opened up both decks, replaced the RCA's with new ones from Radioshack and they sound better than ever.

I also did the internal grounding hack on one deck to test it out. It works great. Prolly gonna open up the other one and do it as well, no more ground wire!!!