Stanton ST-150 Anyone using the digital outs with Pinky?

A forum for topics related to the turntable/cartridge/stylus and the phono preamps used with MsPinky
HellOnWheelz
Stanton ST-150 Anyone using the digital outs with Pinky?

Post by HellOnWheelz » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:39 pm

Hi,

I have a set of Stanton ST - 150 s. Yes I know it is nice to be me. I've just started looking into Final scratch but came across this whole scene.

Anyways my question is about my decks having the digital outs. So is there already the phono preamp and the DAC or rather audio to digital conversion components in the turntable? Can I run digital right into my computer's soundcards?

You do have to toggle between digital or phono out on the back of the stantons. I don't think that you can do both at once.

Any ideas?

HellOnWheelz

:evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :D :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

You can use the digital outs from your TT's

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:00 am

As long as your sound card (or computer) has SPDIF inputs then you should have no trouble at all using the digital outs from your turntables to drive the MsPinky software running on your computer. I actually used to have a Stanton Str8-100 turntable with digital outs. I used the SPDIF input on the MOTU 828 to connect the digital outs from the turntable directly in. It works great because you don't have to connect any phono preamps or anything else... just one cable!

One potential problem I can foresee is that most audio converters that have SPDIF inputs only have one such input. So you may only be able to use one of your decks on a digital input of your soundcard. The other deck you'd need to use the line outs from the turntable to drive a standard analog pair of inputs on your audio converter.

A good audio converter for you to check out is the M-Audio 410 Firewire because it has two analog inputs and SPDIF digital inputs. So you could hook one deck to the SPDIF digital ins and the other deck to the analog ins. The 410 Firewire has something like 10 channels of output -- more than enough!

cheers-

DLP
Hotcakes

Post by Hotcakes » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:49 pm

Yeah multiple SPDIF inputs is very rare and very expensive because of the syncing issues but i think fostex make a cheappish digital patchbay that converts multiple SPDIF streams into a single ADAT stream, This would also be a good if expensive solution (I would stick to the original suggestion of Digi and Analogue though, Best of both worlds)