phono "thru"

A forum for topics related to the turntable/cartridge/stylus and the phono preamps used with MsPinky
bb01
phono "thru"

Post by bb01 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:11 pm

I was wondering what would be the best solution to have some kind of phono through on the pinky system.

What I mean is, if I feel like working with real vinyl, and my computer is not on, I don't want to have to unplug my audio cables from the phono pre's or from the soundcard each time.:? I need some kind of solution so there is always a direct connection from the turntables to the phono in on the mixer.

thx in advance :)
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:01 am

1- go to a audio shop.

2- buy 4 Y male rca cable (one input; two outputs)

3- connect first cable input to red output turntable.

4- connect second cable input to black/white output turntable.

5- connect one of red output to preamp :arrow: Ms.Pinky.

6- connect one of black/white output to preamp :arrow: Ms. Pinky.

7- connect the another red output to phono red input in your mixer.

8- connect the another black/white output to black/white input in your

mixer.

9- do the same to your another turntable.

10- connect your soundcard outputs to the line inputs in your mixer.

now you can toggle Ms. Pinky and real world with your cut/kill (phono/line) switch.

"M∑s claro el agua"

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
TequilaKez

Any drawbacks?

Post by TequilaKez » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:07 am

I've been investigating this myself and just have a couple of questions.

1. Does using a splitter cable weaken the signal from the turntable when it's plugged into the mixer and the preamp at the same time?

2. Does it matter to have the ground wire connected to the mixer and the preamp at the same time?

/Kez
Hotcakes

Post by Hotcakes » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:44 pm

I think DJ Decks allows you to do this, It supports Ms Pinky to so that may be worth looking into, It cost less than the splitter cables in this country too only $30 :)
TequilaKez

Post by TequilaKez » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:50 am

Well Maxipatch has an audio thru function too but I can't always have Maxipatch open when I play live. Most of the time I'm running ableton live and the decks are just set up normally for real vinyl but I'd like to have the option to spin up some mp3's from time to time without having to swap wires ect.
Hotcakes

Post by Hotcakes » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:37 pm

Doesn't your souncard have a mixer util ?
TequilaKez

Post by TequilaKez » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:32 am

Yes it does, and I could just patch it thru to the output direct but it's too messy and takes too long. I've spent a long time making the mouse redundant in my live setup with midi controllers ect. (hence ms Pinky) . I want to be able to just flick between phono and line on my mixer for instant satisfaction :).

Ok so I've split the signal from the turntable two ways, one to preamp->soundcard->MsPinky->MixerLine, other direct to mixer phono.

Only problem is what to do with ground wire, I don't really understand what's going on. If I ground the turntable to the preamp then sound to ms pinky is noise free but then running another ground wire from turntable to mixer seems to do nothing and there is a significant amount of hum. Even stranger, if I take that ground wire and earth it to the side of the roadcase, it seems to cut the hum by half but still too much for a club system.

Anyone know what's happenning here and how I can get noise free to both preamp and mixer?

I could split the signal after the preamp and use line2 on the mixer but I have a cdj plugged in the Line2 so that's out. :(

Thanks in advance

/Kez
Hotcakes

Post by Hotcakes » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:41 am

Well you could split them after the preamps but you would need a four channel mixer for the extra lines ?
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:09 am

I have the config that I poste before. I can mix mp3 and record the mixer main line to my card trought another stereo in. My vestax pdx2000 ground are to mixer. It works fine.

Mudo

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:16 pm

I know this thread is very old, but I have the same splitter line/phone setup described above and it works reasonably well. I have all the grounds connected to the ground of the soundcard. There seems to be a slight loss in signal power, but not a significant loss, ms. pinky works fine (error metric between .19 and .26)