Anyone using a MIC preamp with mspinky?

A forum for topics related to the turntable/cartridge/stylus and the phono preamps used with MsPinky
scam_artist
Anyone using a MIC preamp with mspinky?

Post by scam_artist » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:04 am

I'm investigating whether I can use mspinky with my current setup. My soundcard only has 1 stereo input, but that's ok coz I can live with using mspinky on 1 deck for a while and just switch the control in the software between audio tracks

Anyway, I have a mic preamp (ALTO micTube) which does a fairly good job at boosting mic signals without introducing too much unwanted noise... it's good enough for recording vocals intro tracks as the background noise level is normally too quiet to hear or just needs minor gating to remove the noise

Would this be ok with mspinky, anyone else using a MIC pre?

Thanks for any help you guys can give, cheers
Hotcakes

Post by Hotcakes » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:10 am

I have used a mic pre in the past but not with Pinky, The sound is not particularly very clean so may be a problem when using something like Pinky.
elwood

Post by elwood » Tue May 09, 2006 9:03 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I thought I would note that the mic preamp on a regular mixer works fine as well. For example, I've used the Alesis MultiMix 6FX without a hitch. Works great!

dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Mic Pres Rule!

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue May 09, 2006 10:02 pm

Thanks for the tip, elwood! That's good to know :lol:
los ninja brothers

what about the ART Tube MP??

Post by los ninja brothers » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:51 am

I got this old fashion tube mic preamp and I hope it works with Pinky, I buying the system...

anyone know about it??

It would be nice any info

thanks

losninjabrothers
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Just keep the stereo channels separate

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:04 pm

Is your tube preamp stereo? The most important thing to keep in mind about the Ms Pinky control signal is that it requires pure 100% stereo separation. So whatever you do, don't mix the left + right signals from your turntable (or CD player) before going into the Ms Pinky software.