Phono Leve Vs. Instrument Level...

A forum for topics related to the turntable/cartridge/stylus and the phono preamps used with MsPinky
Funkfish
Phono Leve Vs. Instrument Level...

Post by Funkfish » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:38 pm

Hows it going, I'm clueless about my situation wondering if someone can help.

I just bought two Technics 1200's that have Phono Outs.

You guys says you need to have the output of your turntables go into a phono preamp

which raises the level to a line leve signal, in which I would then run into my firepod.

However my Firepod Has instrument Level inputs so I'm wondering how comparable they are to Phono Level and if I ran the phono out into my Instrument In, would I be ok?

also my Firepod only has two instrument level ins, would it be ok to have a non stereo feed, feeding the software, or I supposed worst case scenario I could just buy one phono preamp.

thanks alot

Fish
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: Phono Leve Vs. Instrument Level...

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:36 am

Funkfish wrote:I just bought two Technics 1200's that have Phono Outs.

You guys says you need to have the output of your turntables go into a phono preamp

which raises the level to a line leve signal, in which I would then run into my firepod.

However my Firepod Has instrument Level inputs so I'm wondering how comparable they are to Phono Level and if I ran the phono out into my Instrument In, would I be ok?
You can probably get away with doing it that way, but it is not ideal. The phono preamp not only boosts the signal level from the turntable, it also applies a special "RIAA Equalization Curve" which boosts lows and cuts highs, and makes the vinyl signal more palatable to Ms Pinky. Nonetheless, it will work going into your instruments Inputs, provided they have high enough gain. Just be sure to carefully ground your turntables ground wires to a mixer grounding nut, or something appropriate.

Funkfish wrote:also my Firepod only has two instrument level ins, would it be ok to have a non stereo feed, feeding the software, or I supposed worst case scenario I could just buy one phono preamp.
Nope. The Ms Pinky signal absolutely requires full stereo feed from each turntable.
Funkfish

Post by Funkfish » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:00 am

nice, my turntables are internally grounded do you think that will cause a problem??
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

No problemo

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:15 am

Ahh-- you have fancy new 1200's, I take it? Internally grounded... NICE! That is not a problem at all. So if they're internally grounded, do they also have line-level outputs by any chance?
Funkfish

Post by Funkfish » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:21 am

I have fancy old 1200's that we're modified by the original owner.

lol