Turntable through output level

A forum for topics related to the turntable/cartridge/stylus and the phono preamps used with MsPinky
obee
Turntable through output level

Post by obee » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:52 pm

Hi, I'm going to buy Ms Pinky because it's such a good piece of software but I just have one small question.

On the Blinky Toy application, when the turntable through function is selected (i.e. when I want to play a normal record through the relative soundcard output) at what level does this come out at, a phono or line?

You see the reason I ask is I noticed that the system setup page tells me that I'll need a mixer with phono/line switchable inputs, however my mixer is the Denon DN-X1500 and it has a matrix input. With this, I don't actually connect each input into the relavant channel and have the option of choosing whether that input is from the phono or line input, the mixer just has a set of seperate phono and line inputs at the back and then each channel is assigned to one of these inputs.

I'm just confused as to why I need the phono/line switchable inputs. Is it because when the turntable through function is on, Blinky Toy makes some alteration to the soundcard which literally just bypasses the input to the output so that it would be at a phono level? Surely this cannot be correct as the input to the sound converter would be at line level and wouldn't the mixer need an extra phono input to the same channel as the sound converters line output is connected to so that when the phono/line switch is switched to phono then it would be at the correct level, this would also need a 2 to 4 stereo cable of which I don't have any lying around anyway.

Sorry I'm making such a big deal out of a little problem, I'm just confused as to why I need phono/line switchable inputs and it concerns me as I don't want to find out that I actually do need them when I don't have them as such (at least not in the usual way).

Thanks a lot for any correspondance.

James.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Software outputs are at Line Level

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:43 pm

When you're playing a normal music record through the ms Pinky software, it will come out at line level. In fact, the outputs from all Ms Pinky software is designed to be at Line Level (1 Volt peak-to-peak). The reason we have to specify the need for switchable phono/line inputs on your mixer is that there are some DJ mixers that only take PHONO level inputs (I have an old Vestax mixer that only has phono inputs). Since the Ms Pinky system is designed to output everything at LINE LEVEL, I actually had to have my friend do a modification on that old mixer so that it could take Line Level inputs. But most DJ mixers can accommodate phono or line level inputs, and allow you to switch between the two.
obee

Post by obee » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:12 pm

Aaah ok I see. Thanks a lot for clearing this up for me.

James.