Ms Pinky's Reformed Max-For-Live device

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:24 pm

is there any chance what so ever for ms. pinky side chainer on the m4l patch?

(i was thinking allong these lines but i don't have the know how http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=278)
i was thinking kind of a cross betwin the midi control on the maxi patch
and this rmd patch.
so that the parameter that changes the control will be the the direction and velocity of the the tt instead of just volume of input.
this would be great it will free us from using the maxi patch while running ableton. thus giving us some more juice for smooth running and less back and forward from one program to another.
in my head this should be in the m4l patch under a tab or something.
anythoughts anybody?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:30 pm

You should be able to take that patch and modify to use turntable velocity, direction, position to modulate MIDI params. Ms Pinky's mptcfs_sa~ object provides audio-rate output signals representing turntable velocity, direction, position. Just take those signals as inputs to whatever this guy's patch is doing... This will be left as an exercise to the reader :wink:
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:35 pm

one small problem. i don't know how to program jack.
but i'll see what i can do if i get anything working i'll post it.
hahrt

Post by hahrt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:32 am

This patch has been a great work-in to my existing setup, and based on the ideas being floated around (coloured-waveforms!) it will only get better.

However, I do have a question about mapping Cue points to MIDI. Ableton seems to think of the cue points as a single assignable MIDI and not individual points mappable to individual buttons. Due to this, it seems I am unable to trigger specific points (also, I can't seem to trigger the same cue twice in a row).
At the moment, I trigger the cues on a horizontal slider I created on my LaunchPad. The problem with this is that I can only trigger 8 cues (which works out to be every 3rd cue I believe and not the first 8 as you would expect).

What are your thoughts?
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:17 pm

you can use the automap mode of the luanchpad (user2+user1+view makes the switch on the fly) and in it map 16 buttons to the same cc number but with changing values.
but then again again this won't enable you to retrigger the cue.
hahrt

Post by hahrt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:02 pm

Right now I'm using Katapult to control the cues from my LaunchPad. But again, not nearly as much cue control as I would like.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:10 pm

I donwloaded the latest versión and I'm trying to set the path for "recorded" audio but I can load it into the device and see the waveform neither (I click+ alt, shift, command, fn.. nothing happens).

Anyone can check the device and drop me some feedback?

Thanks guys.
-m!

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:50 pm

what do i need to do in order to get the current m4l device to
load highlighted clips in a specific channel?
sorry if this has been beaten before.
bizmuth

Nice!

Post by bizmuth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm having a lot of fun with this one on the APC40..... feels much nicer to me than the pinky vst, and now I have hands on control of my tracks instead of being locked to Live's master BPM, which is a big plus for a vinyl convert. Busting it out at my next gig for sure! Great work!!!
JuanSOLO

My recorded audio clips start with 00??

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:33 am

When I record clips in Live, they have prepending zeros on the files in the folder they are recorded too, but in Live's view the clip has no prepending zeros. This make recording audio in live and then transferring it to the Pinky patch not work?

Anyone know why, or how to fix it?
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:00 am

Anyone?
Mr. Meoff

Ms Pinky's Reformed Max-For-Live device?

Post by Mr. Meoff » Mon May 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Sorry for the stupid question, but where can I download "Ms Pinky's Max For Live" device? or where can I purchase it?

I found the "Revised" version, but I already have that. Where Can I find the "Reformed" Ms Pinky's Max-For-Live device?
monosylabik

Post by monosylabik » Sun May 03, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi,

I think I just found a bug. I just updated to the latest version of everything Ms Pinky, and using the Max for Live patch I found it doesn't treat side B or my Gen 4 records the same as side A.

I know Ms Pinky reads the location of the vinyl in values from 0 to 65535 for side A and from 65536 on for side B, so I guess the problem is side B is trying to play from past the end of my audio files. I seem to remember in previous versions you could use both sides interchangeably, but I haven't tested it. Cue mode does work on side B.

Is there a way to fix this in the patch or should I wait for a new version?

I've tried running it on Live 9.1.8 and 9.2.7b on a Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz running Yosemite.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon May 04, 2015 5:34 am

I recently modified the mptcfs_sa~ object to default to "position_wrap_mode 0" which means the position information on side B (65536 .... 131071) no longer gets wrapped back to the same positions stamps as are on Side A. This was done in response to a user who wished to use Sides A and B to play two different tracks just by turning over the disc. I didn't think anyone would mind. Guess I was wrong. :wink:

Fortunately the solution should be very easy. In your patch, just add "position_wrap_mode 1" sent to mptcfs_sa~ and that should set it back to treating both sides the same.