Ms Pinky's Reformed Max-For-Live device

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Sweet :D I got the data storage and retrieval system all working ! This was really half the battle (for me anyway), the rest of the features based around this should go pretty smoothly :)

It works across the many instances that you can have of the patchers too so there is no need to save the data per every single instance, once one patcher knows the info, so will the rest of the patchers.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:45 pm

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Seeings how i had complaints about how the cue system worked i have gone ahead and made my own system for storing cue point and loop point data.

Now storage of loop data and cue data can be done without activating the said cue or loop.

To keep in line with the current patch i have made 16 cue points and 16 loop points, which is a totally absurd amount of cue points and loop points, but i know how much everyone loves such absurdly large numbers :D

At the moment though this data is not actually doing anything, but it should not take me long at all to start putting it to good use :)
rabalder

Post by rabalder » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:00 pm

Im not able to trigger which clip to scratch with my midi-controller anymore. I have to highlight the selected clip with my mouse...(!?) When I map a button to a clip, its played, not highlighted..

Isnt this possible anymore?? :shock:
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:59 pm

With 16 cues you could map a mpd pad and beat!

;)

Mudo means mute person.

rabalder

Post by rabalder » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:13 am

Aha.. Never really used cues.

Thanks
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:07 am

rabalder wrote:Aha.. Never really used cues.

Thanks
My answer was for Bento about cues, not to you.

;)

Mudo means mute person.

BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:38 am

Using downbeat info and BPM info i have worked out how to store i was able to make a phase meter which tells you how far your track is off from the closest beat. At the moment this only exists as a number ranging from -0.5 -> +0.5 but it should be very easy to turn this into a more visual object. Its using the master clock of Ableton so it will tell you the phase of your track in relation to Abletons master clock.

This was the first step in making a sync feature so a sync button should not be very far off now :)
BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:01 pm

I would like to see an output of the pinky object to send a floating point output (or even better a signal out) of the current position of the track from 0.00000 -> 1.00000 so that way we can get more accuracte cue drops.

Currently the song duration outputs at around every 40ms, so using this as a cue drop function does work, but could be better.

Doing this would definitely help with the accuracy of some of the current work i am doing.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:50 pm

I'm not sure but I think this is related to timestamps... Scott has the answers.

Mudo means mute person.

dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:11 pm

There are several different ways to get the track position as a floating point value between 0.00 ---> 1.00.

1) "query percent_played".
The mptcfs_sa~ object will output the track position as a floating point number between 0.00 --> 1.00 in response to the message "query percent_played". You can send this query as often as needed to obtain the time accuracy you want.

2) Position signal output. The fifth outlet from the left is the position signal output. It outputs a signal at the audio rate which normally corresponds to position on the vinyl control record (or CD). Sending the message "file_position_out 1" to the object will cause this output signal to reflect the current position of the file playback. However, you'll need to scale this value as follows in order to get a number between 0.00 ---> 1.00. Create an expr object with two inputs as follows: "expr $f1*11.60997732426/$f2". Connect the output of a number~ which is fed by the position signal to the left inlet, and the output from "query msec_duration" to the right inlet. This is shown for you in the patch "FileScratchPatch_MPTCFS" which is part of the Maxi-Patch patches. Note: you only need to issue the "query msec_duration" once just after a new file is loaded.
BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:59 pm

ooo, thanks very much for the info that will help greatly in what i am currently working on :)
mr.

Post by mr. » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:38 pm

i can't wait to spend a little time and learn how to use this... so excited for it.
--- -- -
JuanSOLO

Re: Ms Pinky's Reformed Max-For-Live device

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:22 pm

dlpinkstah wrote:A new version of Ms Pinky's Max For Live device (OSX and Windoom) is available for all fan club members to download.
Maybe this is a silly question, but where do I download this new version?
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:07 pm

It is at downloads files MAXMSP_yourOS/Patches_yourOS/Max4Live/

Mudo means mute person.