Ms Pinky's Reformed Max-For-Live device

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Mudo's right. The Max4Live stuff is included in the "Max/MSP Externals and Patches for YourOS" downloadable archive, which is accessed from the same page as all other Ms Pinky software downloads. Inside the Archive is a subfolder called "patches YourOS" which contains a subfolder called "Max4Live".
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:13 pm

LiveOSC useful (I hope) info!
http://github.com/willrjmarshall/AbletonOSC

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:33 pm

dlpinkstah wrote:Mudo's right. The Max4Live stuff is included in the "Max/MSP Externals and Patches for YourOS" downloadable archive, which is accessed from the same page as all other Ms Pinky software downloads. Inside the Archive is a subfolder called "patches YourOS" which contains a subfolder called "Max4Live".
I still dont understand where, "Max/MSP Externals and Patches for YourOS" downloadable archive IS?

What am I doing wrong? I really want to download the new revised M4L patch.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi JuanSolo,
at downloads page you have some many different files. In the labeled "maxmsp" you could find a lot of resources, m4l patch and libraries included.

:)

Mudo means mute person.

dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:12 am

Juan Solo-- Did you purchase the Ms Pinky software? If you did, then you were sent a URL, a userid, and a password for accessing a special members-only section of our website where you can download Ms Pinky software. One of the archives that you can download appears with the label "Max/MSP Externals and Patches for ......". There are two versions of this archive, one for OSX, and one for Windoom. The archive contains all the patches and external objects which you need in order to use Ms Pinky with Max/MSP and Max For Live. If you did not yet purchase Ms Pinky software, then please visit the shop:

http://www.mspinky.com/shop/
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:55 pm

YES!

Finally figured it out, got the files. THANKS!

I have been traveling a lot, so sorry bout the sparatic posts. After giving the new M4L a go, I am very pleased so far. Over all it seem to respond much better than before. Still haven't had the chance to hook up 2 decks and go over all the new bells and whistles, but just the basics seemed better. Not sure if they had been changed that much or at all, but so far I am very pleased.

Hopefully I can replace Traktor with this set up.
trypset

Post by trypset » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:11 am

please let me know how it compares to Traktor/Serato...I do not have M4L yet but enjoy using Pinky VST. I think the addition of midi-mappable cuepoints and looping is awesome, but I would like to know how it compares. Thanks!
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:30 am

One the first revisedPinky patch I was able to set up my file path for the clip scratching feature. Since then I have done a clean instal on my MBP and downloaded the latest Pinky Files.

I cant seem to get Ms Pinky M4L patch to load clips in the path upon triggering them anymore? Nor do I get the menus populating what tracks are loaded.

What am I doing wrong???
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:42 am

OK I got it to load highlighted clip, and the umenus are working too, but I still cant get it to load clips by triggering them via midi map, or using the key map?
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:22 pm

How do you get 2 instances of M4L Pinky to work using highlighted clip loading.

It wants to load both instances from no matter which track I am highlighting clips from
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:32 pm

OK so I did what BentoSan suggested a couple pages back to load clips by adding a live button. Works great, however highlighting a clip in either track, shows that name of the clip in both instances. How do I isolate each instance for the track where is sits?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:26 am

Please post the M4L patch that you're currently using (the .amxd file) so we can see exactly what you're doing.

I suspect you will have to filter the highlighted clip's track number in order to have only clips from certain tracks get loaded onto your particular instance.
You should be able to do this with a "select" object.

Also make sure you're not using the "send" and "receive" objects in your patches because these do not isolate between instances.
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:20 am

Right now I have got a method going I really like.

The new Pinky Patch is GREAT!

I will eventually change some of the cue and loop functions though. Looking forward to what Bento is working on. I made a couple of changes so far. For example when I load a track via Bentos posted method, It also reads the BPM labled "scene" and restarts the transport at that BPM. Most of my tracks are pre-warped and grouped together by their Beats Per Minute. I made this workaround mainly to start Lives transport on the 1 when loading new clips into Pinky. This resets my BeatLookpUp device which is on a return track. Somewhat of a synch workaround at the moment for the Beatlookup and other synch effects like delays etc...

I have 2 Decks running 2 instances of Ms Pinky, and using Live for track rounting and effects, but it's session view is more or less a giant Browser now.

I'm loving this so far. Totally breaking away from Traktor. I have had to make a couple of sacrafices giving up Traktor, but I have also gained some things that I could not achieve as well as this.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:35 am

Cool Juan!

It could be possible make something like Beatlookup directly in maxforlive?

Mudo means mute person.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:33 pm

I've made some beat jumping stuff in M4L. Nothing compares to the BeatLookUp in performance.