Ms Pinky's Reformed Max-For-Live device

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
manic

Post by manic » Mon May 17, 2010 8:38 am

Hi bento,

yeah I'm pretty convinced relative mode is just not going to cut it for me.

Have you tried beat juggling in relative mode!? Its a nightmare.

Relative mode will always start to drift when pushing the vinyl around ala turntablist so its gotta be absolute but I want to be able to pull up cue points as well.

For eg.. Im scratching in absolute and the needle skips, I just hit my cue pedal and im back where I need to be.

It seems like you have a good grasp of M4L. Would it be easy to set the cues up to work with absolute so that they offset the record position or audio file start point?

JUAN SOLO:
Did you mean Relative mode looses position on back cue?

With absolute mode PINKY can track the unique position of the needle on the record so when you back cue it keeps the audio sample locked to those unique positions.

Relative mode only knows how fast the record is going forwards or backwards so if you backcue in relative mode and it misses a 'pulse' it passes by un-noticed and so your sample starts to drift around the record.

Would be perfect if we could combine CUE and absolute tracking!
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon May 17, 2010 4:00 pm

@manic

I always get the 2 confused, but I am certain we are talking about the same issue with the same mode. Very frustrating for beat juggling.
manic

Post by manic » Wed May 19, 2010 9:32 am

Ok I've created my own variant of the patch in a bid to develop a simple M4L pinky patch suited to turntablists and straight track to track mix dj's.

ABSOLUTE DJ EDITION :)
http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3846

Im happy with the set up but I still need help with the absolute mode issues.

If anyone can help solve the CUE/ABSOLUTE issue would really make this patch a great tool for turntablists.
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu May 20, 2010 3:13 pm

If I only knew enough Max, I'd make Ms Pinky completely give Traktor and Serato a hard competition.

It's so close but a few issues will always keep it in 3rd place.

HOWEVER, I will be using it as if I'm in first place.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Thu May 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Use her but don't abuse...

:P

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri May 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Cue/Absolute: Avoiding sticker drift requires the use of Ms Pinky's vinyl position information, which currently is totally discarded when in "relative" mode. Using "absolute" mode vinyl tracking avoids sticker drift, but doesn't allow the user to jump to cue points in a file because the file playback point is always tied to the vinyl position. So I'm aware there needs to be something in between "relative" and "absolute" modes. I'm working on it!

Vertical Waveform: I also see no reason we can't change the waveform display object "uiwaveform" in Max/MSP to also allow vertical waveform displays.

Color-Coded Waveform: As far as adding the color-coding to the waveform, that may take a little more time. What sort of mapping from frequency content to color do you think makes the most sense? It should be quite easy to perform an FFT on the file's audio samples as they're being scanned to create the current waveform data-- but how should the frequency values get mapped to colors? Suggestions welcomed.
BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Fri May 21, 2010 5:14 pm

For coloured waveforms i would like red and "hot" colours to be the low frequencies and the lower frequencies to to be "cold" colours - so pretty much from red to blue and everywhere in between.

If your working on the UI waveform is you could make the minimum zoom level stretch the whole waveform over how ever big the user has stretched the uiwaveform size that would be awesome. Also the ability when clicking on a stretched waveform to not give out weird jumps would be awesome - if i stretch the waveform i cannot use it to jump around the track with my mouse or

Also the ability to have multiple cuepoint's showing and loop points showing, only having the last triggered cue point showing could be better. The ability for the user to change the colors would be totally awesome too for loop points and cue points would be an added bonus, but not 100% necessary.

In fact really just the ability to put colored markers on the waveform in general would be really handy - so i could do stuff put a grid have a grid on the waveform showing where the beats are. Perhaps that grid might be something better coded into the uiwaveform itself ? Feed the uiwavform object a track bpm and a marker that is on the beat, then the waveform automatically lays out a grid.

These things would really help me make a few cool new features !
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat May 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Yeah, what Bento said.

Seriously, those improvements, would really help make Ms Pinky a serious contender.

Currently switching between "loop segment" on/off, makes the song jump to position when turned on.
I would like to be able to have Loops set but, "activate" them in a way that does not disrupt an already playing file. For example, I may have a long song playing, with a long break at the end where my loop is set. Once the song gets somewhere in that area, I want to be able to activate the loop without the song, jumping to that position.

If possible?

As for vertical waveforms, it would be rad to have a choice. I would like to still have the horizontal one that I could use in my GUI, that showed cue points and loop points, but also gave me a visual reference on where I am in that song. I like the horizontal one for showing the entire file, no zoom.

The Vert one would be great as a zoomed visual reference, like a phase meter, same as Serato. It's such a killer visual reference for DJing and I'm not sure why all other software has not adopted it.

Thanks for taking requests DLP
manic

Post by manic » Mon May 24, 2010 6:59 am

Cue/Absolute: Avoiding sticker drift requires the use of Ms Pinky's vinyl position information, which currently is totally discarded when in "relative" mode. Using "absolute" mode vinyl tracking avoids sticker drift, but doesn't allow the user to jump to cue points in a file because the file playback point is always tied to the vinyl position. So I'm aware there needs to be something in between "relative" and "absolute" modes. I'm working on it!
Thats a relief.. Thank you dlpinktah!

Im so close to being able to use pinky for my live looper set up - its making me itch! Im starting to make heavy use of the cues so stuck with relative mode and sticker 'drift' for now.

I thought about how I could edit the patch to get cues working with absolute mode (before I found that the pinky external could not be easily edited) but looks like dlpinkstah has it all worked out already - Nice ! :)

Looking forward to the next update!
BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Mon May 24, 2010 12:42 pm

manic wrote:I thought about how I could edit the patch to get cues working with absolute mode (before I found that the pinky external could not be easily edited) but looks like dlpinkstah has it all worked out already - Nice ! :)
I dont think it is possible from the user end unless you handed off the file playback to another object and just used the pinky object for timecode decoding. So its not as simple as editing the patch to get this functionality working as far as i am aware.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri May 28, 2010 9:46 am

Scott what about input hardware? I know this solution is a bit "expensive" but I could work on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDvg48uze9c

I have two stribes!

:)

Mudo means mute person.

Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:00 pm

What do you think about this...

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... ID=3889319

Mudo means mute person.

rabalder

Loading clips with midi

Post by rabalder » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:52 pm

So..... For those of us who haven't got a clue on how to fiddle with max-stuff, is there an easy way to fix the new "load-a-clip-with-a-midi-controller-problem"?

If so, please let me know, but preferably use the vocabulary of a 10 year old kid.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:52 pm

Explain me it.

Mudo means mute person.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:01 pm

When I load tracks into Ms Pinky M4L device, sometimes I get a brief glitch, or drop out, on both decks. I imagine this has to do with the file size of some audio tracks, however is there a way to minimize this?

Currently my file path is to on folder. Inside of it I have 2 levels of sub folders broken up by BPM and genre. Would it make a difference to set paths to the sub folders instead of just the top level folder?