MsPinky_MPTCFS.maxpat velocity value update

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
travelsound84
MsPinky_MPTCFS.maxpat velocity value update

Post by travelsound84 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:01 pm

Hi everyone

I'm using my msPinky vinyl to control music files with a different application. therefore i'm sending the velocity values in my MsPinky_MPTCFS - patch via UDP to my application. Everything's working fine, except that the update speed of the velocity values corresponding to my turntable are far to low. that's why the audio control is not matching well to the movements i'm making on my turntable. I'm sure that the problems are not my application or that udp isn't fast enough.
If i'm playing a file in the patch, it works well. but the problem is just that those displayed velocity values, that i send via udp, are not updating fast enough. it updates about 3-5 times per second. and that's just far to low for a good feeling vinyl control.

By the way, i'm not very experienced with MaxMSP so maybe the problem is obvious to you. have mercy with me :)

thanks for any help!!

cheers!
travelsound84

Post by travelsound84 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:04 pm

this is the value that i need to update faster 8)

dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:31 pm

The update interval for the number~ object that you're using to convert the velocity signal to a sequence of messages probably needs to have its "Update Interval in Milliseconds" attribute set to a lower value. To set this attribute, open the inspector for the number~ object which is connected to the velocity signal and set "Update Interval..." to the lowest possible value, which I believe is 20 milliseconds right now. If that isn't low enough, we can find another way to convert the velocity signal coming from mptcfs_sa~ (which is a an audio rate signal ) to a signal appropriate for sending over UDP.
travelsound84

Post by travelsound84 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:12 pm

wow didn't think that i would get an answer that fast..
thanks a lot, that helped!
i did not know about that inspector.
the scratching feels a lot better know! :)
for the moment it's enough. but i just compared it with torq and it seems that the sound in my application doesn't sound that good. but it does sound alright.
I first have to figure out if that is because of my program code, or because it is still to less values sent over udp.
again thank you very much for the quick answer!

cheers
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:38 pm

With number~, the lowest interval for updating is unfortunately 20 milliseconds (50 times per second). This is probably not fast enough for your scratching to sound as good as Torq, or Ms Pinky. The velocity in Ms Pinky is updated 1378.125 times per second if the sampling rate is 44.1 KHz.

So we need to find you another way of converting the velocity signal to a number value for sending over UDP. Hmmmmm......
travelsound84

Post by travelsound84 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Hmm.. if you figure out any idea i would be pleased if you let me know..

For the moment it's ok like this because i'm still prototyping.

Another possibility i could use is to write a plugin. i'm programming in c-Sharp. But right now it's impossible to do that because i don't own the right version of my development environment to include plugins. that's why i'm doing this in maxMsp.

Do you have any experiences with the SDK?
Would it be better to write a plugin for a case like this?

Wish you a nice weekend! :)
BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Wed May 12, 2010 6:40 pm

I think i have a simple solution for you :)

Check out the snapshot~ object (comes packed in max already), its capable of sending out floating point values faster than the number object can. You can feed a input into the right input and it will return a value every x milliseconds. Or you tell it to report the value every x samples by giving it a "x samples" message into the same right input.

Keep us posted on how this goes for you
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Wed May 19, 2010 7:19 pm

+1

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
travelsound84

Hi everybody

Post by travelsound84 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:29 pm

i stayed using my variant with 20 miliseconds, because the udp script i wrote for receiving data cant get an update in less than 20 miliseconds..
thanks for the posts anyway :)
i posted a first result of my work with the artists corner..

http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1019

hope you'll like it.

cheers
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:33 am

It is cool sir!

Good work!

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
travelsound84

Post by travelsound84 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:20 pm

thanks maaaan.. :)