normal mixer crossfade for video?

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
hydro
normal mixer crossfade for video?

Post by hydro » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Is there any patches created that allows the crossfader of a vestax 07 to also control the video crossfade?

for example if you had to different music videos and you wanted to treat them like how you would normally scratch mix a songs together?

so fader on- movie/deck one on
fader off - movie/deck one off

so fader on- movie/deck 2 on
fader off - movie/deck 2 off

hope this has made some sort of sense
hydro

Post by hydro » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:45 pm

i meant to add without midi
BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Thu May 06, 2010 5:16 pm

You would need midi coming out of the cross fader to do that - there would be no way of the computer being able to tell where the crossfader is at any given point in time.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri May 07, 2010 3:39 am

Actually a really smart guy named Daito Manabe (see Ms Pinky Pets & Friends Page) came up with a way to pass two sinewaves of different frequencies through a crossfader and measure the output power of each sinewave at different positions of the crossfader in order to estimate its position. I'll see if I can find a web reference to this technique to post... but it has been done.
BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Fri May 07, 2010 4:43 am

You right, but then you lose the mixing capabilities of the mixer :(

Also would you really even need to bother about different frequency sine waves ? If you just panned one channel hard left, and another hard right - then measure the volume level and converted that into a midi signal, that would do the job. I could crank out a patch that did that in no time.

Why i said it wasn't possible is that i assumed that what this user wants is to be able to mix externally on his mixer and at the same time have that control the video, which i don't see being possible. Then again assumptions can sometimes be a bad thing :p
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri May 07, 2010 4:21 pm

It is possible and made but not released yet.

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri May 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Bento- you're right about the frequency. You could just use the same frequency for both sinewaves, but pan the first mixer channel hard to one stereo side, pan the other mixer channel hard to the other stereo side and measure the output levels from the crossfader in each stereo channel to construct an estimate of the crossfader's physical position.

The system I'm describing would prevent the mixer from also being simultaneously used to do normal mixing of audio signals.