Ms. Pinky M4L Patch - Absolute DJ Edition

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
manic
Ms. Pinky M4L Patch - Absolute DJ Edition

Post by manic » Wed May 19, 2010 7:59 am

I've been trying to set up a patch that suits my need for simple hands free clip loading and traditional style vinyl control in ableton.

No bpm calculation, warping, loops, gimmicks just simple ways to load record content for turntablism performance or turntable controlled beat mixing.

I've been making some progress but really need the help of this community to get it finished.

Here are the details as I've put in help file

==============================

ABSOLUTE DJ EDITION
v0.5

- Im setting this patch up with turntablists in mind and it is supposed to give a simplified interface that can cycle through cues and clips with midi footpedals and other devices for 'away from computer' use.

- IMO Absolute mode is the only way you can get proper vinyl tracking for turntablist tricks like beat juggling. Relative mode will creep your samples around the vinyl so that markers on the vinyl become useless.

- The interface and all the features I envisioned for this variant of pinkys M4L patch are present EXCEPT possibly the most important part of this edition. CUEs working in ABSOLUTE mode.
(SEE: 'STILL TO DO' at bottom of note)

SET UP:
Create a live project and give it a folder to reside in. Put all your audio clips that you want to use in this project into your folder. Enter your project folder location into the 'Audio Directory' input box which is placed next to the 'Ms Pinky Help' Button on the player. EG. 'C:\my_live_project\' . Remember trailing \

How to Get Recorded Clips Working:
Set your live project to place your recorded audio into the folder you set up above.

WORKING WITH IT:

Track Selection:
- Create an audio track in ableton call it something you can identify as the audio source for your pinky instance... eg 'Turntable 1'.

- Dump the audio clips you want available to pinky into this ableton track from the folder you set up above.

- Order your clips which ever way suits your performance.

- In pinky select the track eg. 'Turntable 1' and you will see the list of audio files populate in the select list below.

- Now you have a list of tracks ready for playback in pinky and you can use the following methods to call them
+ Use drop down box
+ Use |<and>| to move up and down the list. (Midi assignable)
+ Toggle the "Auto-load highlighted clip..." to on and you can then click the audio clip in ableton to load.
+ Drag and drop

Loop Points:
Disabled in this edition. I use Abletons Looper or you can load your loops into ableton track and use pinky to advance through them - setting pinky to 'loop whole file'. Or beat juggle :)

Cue Points:
Ms Pinky's Max For Live device supports setting, saving, and restoring up to 16 cue points per audio file. Located beneath the bottom waveform display are 16 buttons for selecting the cue slot.

- After selecting the cue slot, specify a cue point by holding down the Shift key (OSX or Windoom) and dragging over the waveform display.

- A red indicator bar shows the currently selected cue point.

- While still holding down the shift key, release the mouse and the cue point is set.

- Recall instantly by pressing the numbered cue button (Which is MIDI-mappable, BTW).

- Note that these cue points are not currently tied to cue points set in Ableton's editor.

- You can also advance backwards and forwards through your cue point by using the <and> buttons on the player (also midi/key assignable). The [] button replays the last used cue point.

STILL TO DO:
- Get cue points to work in absolute mode!
- Get track loads to work in absolute mode so that track starts at current needle position!

I know the above is possible but do not have the M4L know how to get it working. So Im hoping that putting this out there will attract the skilled..

DOWNLOAD:
Pinky_Absolute_DJ_Edition.rar
Updated 19/05/2010
manic

Post by manic » Wed May 19, 2010 9:53 am

Oh almost forgot....

when you enter your 'Audio File Directory' into the text input box, you need to double slash. (At least with Windows)

Eg.
C:\\my_live_project\\
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed May 19, 2010 3:57 pm

AWESOME. I have 2 gigs this weekend so I probably will not open this patch until after my gigs. I'm excited about your efforts though. My upcoming gigs will have no major juggling, but I think we are on the same page with these features.

Currently I am building a floating interface. If I can figure out how to get the waveforms vertical, maybe we could have a "Serato style" waveform view.

My goal would be to make a fullscreen interface that could be used, thats a little like Traktor & Serato combined.
manic

Post by manic » Wed May 19, 2010 7:02 pm

JUANSOLO
Would be good to know how to be able to launch floating windows. Let me know how you get on with that.
----------//

Anyway I had a go at finding a way to offset playback position in absolute mode.

Not looking good. Appears that all the cue/timecode handling is made inside the MPTCFS_SA~.mxe External.

At first I thought this was a patch I could open and edit but turns out I cant!?

I looked for a way to open MPTCFS_SA~.mxe but no luck. Probably compiled in C++ of some code outside of MAX.

So with all these externals available to max, we are told how to make use of them but we cant see or edit the code?

Unless Ive got it wrong, looks like dlpinkstah is the one who can help here.

:(

M.
:(
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Wed May 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Yes, you are right about "objects" but you have also a SDK in the package...

in other hand... maybe we (community) make a wishlist for m4L patch and try to grow altogheter?

:)

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed May 19, 2010 7:35 pm

FLOATING WINDOWS!

The guys here gave me few tips on floating windows
http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=26633

But I still had trouble getting it to work, so I used Monolakes Darkness Falls patch, or at least the idea of it. It goes full screen, and then you have to reset it to just a floating sizable screen.
http://www.monolake.de/technology/m4l.html

I used some of your GUI stuff, I thought it looked good. No luck on vertical waveforms, or colored waveforms yet.
BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Wed May 19, 2010 8:39 pm

oo colours :p

did you rework my eq 3 into that patch ?
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu May 20, 2010 3:04 pm

I was using your EQ3. I cant decide between your EQ3 and a comination of Tarekith's stuff. Sometimes yours sounds better, sometimes Tarekith's. Also upon the release of 8.1.3 using a 2 finger swipe gesture on my MBP mouse pad, seems to crash live, but only with a combination of Ms Pinky and the BentoEQ. I sent in a bug report. The EQ3 seems to be the culprit, and once everything is set up they way I have it now, I would rarely be doing this gesture which crashes live. But while building the set and adjusting FX, I will do it out of habit and crash live over and over to the point of annoyance. Lastly the BentoEQ3 doesn't seem to get the bass response I want sometimes. This could be more about the quality of my music, than the EQ3, or I just haven't figured out where the sweet spot is?

What you see in the floating windows is just observers of dials in racks. It's strictly GUI representation added to the pinky patch. I still like keeping things a bit modular.
BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Thu May 20, 2010 9:25 pm

You should really avoid adding bass to your mixes - its better to turn down the high and mid eq's and apply more gain/turn up the volume level more. Adding bass EQing causes phasing issues which should be avoided.

play with your low/mid crossover point too anyway- that could be causing issues.

anyway.. back on topic

I dont think it is possible to create a absolute, relative hybrid as a user unless you weren't using mspinky object for the audio playback side of things.
manic

Post by manic » Sat May 22, 2010 7:06 am

Damn shame....

Would be great if ms pinky object could be updated to allow for offsetting the audio start point in absolute mode. I think thats all we would need to get cues working in absolute mode , that and a bit of math.

dlpinkstah?
BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Sat May 22, 2010 8:35 am

did you see what he said in this post here ? - http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 0&start=75
manic

Post by manic » Mon May 24, 2010 7:01 am

aha! awesome... dlpinkstah has it on the work in progress list.

I am pleased :) .