miss pinky performance.

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
sec-def
miss pinky performance.

Post by sec-def » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:24 pm

sup people.
i'm a bit new to the whole dvs system world and i would like some clarification in regards to your lady.
i've been using traktor pro with some midi controllers for quite some time now. (and ableton with the same gear) and i ran into sevrel glass ceilings in the aspects of responsiveness and expression. not to mention that scratching
on a midi controller that doesn't turn is actually close to impossible (it's possible if you cheat) becuase you have no reliable visual feedback.

so basiclly what i'm asking is how solid is the miss pinky dvs?
can you actually scratch with it? (fast cuts, uzi scratches stuff like that)
how bad is the latency? {i'm using an n.i audio kontrol 1, i expiremanted with sending a time code (vdj cd) signal from traktor to the inputs of the ak1 to control (via eks otus) vdj and it worked reasonably well}
how heavy are the m4l patches on your system?
and last but not least is it a reliable midi source for ableton?

thanks in advance, i hope you guys can answer me. cuz' this system
looks like exactly what i want but i have no way of testing it.

and thanks agains thanks....
sec-def.
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:11 pm

no one?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: miss pinky performance.

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:32 am

sec-def wrote:so basiclly what i'm asking is how solid is the miss pinky dvs?
Provided you follow the guidelines of the required physical setup as described here:
http://www.mspinky.com/setup_slideshow/ ... Setup.html
You'll get very solid performance from Ms Pinky.
sec-def wrote:can you actually scratch with it? (fast cuts, uzi scratches stuff like that)
Yes, that's the whole idea. To provide an accurate virtualization of scratching, for digital systems.
sec-def wrote:how bad is the latency? {i'm using an n.i audio kontrol 1, i expiremanted with sending a time code (vdj cd) signal from traktor to the inputs of the ak1 to control (via eks otus) vdj and it worked reasonably well}
The latency depends largely on your soundcard, and your buffer size settings in Ableton. I haven't personally tested with the ak1, but the latency should be minimal. I doubt you'd find it problematic at all.
sec-def wrote:how heavy are the m4l patches on your system?
Minimal load on your system from the scratching patches, provided you're using a recent model fast computer with plenty of RAM. Again-- see physical requirements page mentioned above.
sec-def wrote:and last but not least is it a reliable midi source for ableton?
Absolutely. Especially on OSX, where everything works better anyway ...
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:53 am

thanks that was helpfull.
I'll order the system in the next few days.
it's cheap enough to take to take a leap of faith.
and if it works well with my set up it's basiclly everything i ever wanted.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:37 pm

I'm sure you realize that the Audio Kontrol 1 has only (2) channels input, therefore it can only work with (1) turntable with Ms Pinky. Also-- does your turntable have line-level output? The Audio Kontrol 1 is not designed to accept direct turntable input, so you may need a preamp if your turntable doesn't have line-level outputs.

Again-- it's up to YOU to make sure you are following the guidelines of Ms Pinky's Required Physical Setup:

http://www.mspinky.com/setup_slideshow/ ... Setup.html

The NI Audio 8 DJ would be a much better choice for use with Ms Pinky.
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:01 pm

yes i am aware of that. but it's a start. and my turntable does have line level outputs. untill i get another turntable and a sound card with more
inputs i'll have to compromise.
i'm thinking of ways to make this work, ableton is one, virtual dj is another.
(with vdj i could actually control two decks with midi and have one dedicated deck for ms. pinky)