Hot Cues, Colored Waveforms, and a better Pitch Lock?!?!?

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
samuraitheta
Hot Cues, Colored Waveforms, and a better Pitch Lock?!?!?

Post by samuraitheta » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 am

Hello all,

Before I get started I want to say thank you to all who have developed and helped to do just that with Ms. Pinky thus far: Thank you. You have managed to come closest to what the bridge should have been.

Now, in comparing Ms. Pinky to other DVS systems out there, there are a few things that I would like to see/make happen. I am making primary use of the Max 4 Live device, so I will focus on that, however these features come standard with all other DJ softwares so they should be too much of a stretch for the whole bundle.

1. Hot Cues - One of the simplest, and in my opinion, most useful part of digital music control is the ability to set and jump to cue point quickly. Shouldn't be too hard: Push button sets cue. Push button again jumps to cue. Push different button or shifted button and cue is deleted.

2. Colored Waveforms - I saw these mentioned in a previous thread and I think they would really take Ms. Pinky into the realm of a powerful DVS competitor. Decks and Dance did it. Serato does it. It can't be that hard to do some FFT's of the loudest frequency, make a chart, and print a waveform.

3. Better Pitch Lock - It says in the Ms. Pinky quick start guide that the artifacts of their pitch lock algorithm are characteristic and they like them. That is fine for the writers of the program, but not for those of us who like the freedom that a good pitch lock gives you in mixing harmonically. I'm not saying do away with the old algorithm, I'm just saying it is about time for a usable one.

I have some experience in Max and M4L, but have little experience in Java or other programs. I will have much more time this summer after I graduate and would be more than willing to dive into learning a new language. Any discussion on contributors to these projects will be greatly appreciated.

Also... I have seen pictures of all playing waveforms displayed in a separate window. Is there a quick way to make this happen?
hahrt

Post by hahrt » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Your first two recommendations would be a fantastic addition to Ms. Pinky. She loves pink, so I imagine some different rosy hues to differentiate between the frequencies would look sharp.
Additionally, I as well feel the limitations of the cue points (especially within the M4L device) and would greatly welcome some fine tuning in those areas.