On-the-fly Loop and Cue point modifications

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
dlpinkstah
Site Admin
On-the-fly Loop and Cue point modifications

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:04 pm

A new version of Ms Pinky's M4L device is now ready for registered users to download. Main new features are on-the-fly loop and cue point creation and modification. We've basically just ported the new features of Maxi-Patch 3.7.6 to the M4L patch. See the quick_start guide included in the downloaded archive.
hahrt

Post by hahrt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:33 pm

Ahh! This is exciting.
Can't wait to try it out :)
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:32 pm

two things i would like to add to this but don't know how.
1. an auto 1.7999 second loop (that way i don't have any sticker drift)
2. a re-bang to all loops (so that i can re-lunch any loop with one button)

any thoughs?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:12 am

sec-def wrote:two things i would like to add to this but don't know how.
1. an auto 1.7999 second loop (that way i don't have any sticker drift)
Use "query sample_duration" to mptcfs_sa~ to get the duration of the file in units of samples (Ns). Then "query fsample" to get the file's sample rate (fs). Divide the file's sample duration by the sample rate to get the total number of seconds of file's duration (as a floating-point value).
(f_seconds = Ns/fs).

Now divide 1.8 by the file's total duration in seconds to get the fraction of file length which corresponds to a 1.8 second loop. (1.8/f_seconds = f_loop) Pick any fractional point for your loop to start (loop_begin) between 0.0 and 1.0 (0.0 is file start, 1.0 is file end), and add f_loop to loop_begin to get the end point.

Then use "loop_start_end_fraction loop_begin loop_end" to set a loop with arbitrary starting point and length = 1.8 seconds.
sec-def wrote: 2. a re-bang to all loops (so that i can re-lunch any loop with one button)
This you can already do by banging any cue point which happens to be outside the loop. That will force the loop to re-start at it's beginning.
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:57 pm

is there any way to do this on the fly?
so that addition to that looping functions allready exists i'll have another
on the fly button for it? (so that i wouldn't have to set it each time for each track i could just find a sound and loop it)
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:51 am

exciting news, I feel like I have been waiting for this update forever. Can't believe I have not seen it sooner. :shock:
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:10 pm

so the directions you sent me in was way over my head.
this is what i did, a button which bangs the loop start button, and bangs a delay 1800 object. the delay object then bangs the start\bottun for the second time after 1.8 seconds.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Excellent idea.
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:09 pm

I'm having some issues with the looping functionality. it's apparently
the sole reason for crashes in my system (windows 7 64 bit ableton 8.2 I think)
what got me worrying is the fact that on some projects the patch loads up with the last loop I played right away and in some projects it doesn't load up like that.
playing around with a few projects also showed me that in some projects just hitting the loop segment toggle will crash the system.
if someone told me how to get the compressed text file I would be more then happy to post it here.