Building a Live Looper into Pinky Patch???

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
JuanSOLO
Building a Live Looper into Pinky Patch???

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:48 am

So I started messing around with the SUPERLOOPER at maxforlive.com and combining it with the Ms Pinky patch.

I set up a send object from the SUPERLOOPER sending the file name to the Pinky Patch, as soon as the SUPERLOOPER finishes recording the loop and does the auto export thing. The problem is the SUPERLOOPER has quite a long pause after recording the loop stops, and auto exporting. I am wanting my Pinky Vinyl to be spinning and take over playback of the recorded loop instantaneously.

I've seen the video on streaming web cam and audio directly to Ms Pinky. I've yet to open it up.

So is it possible to do some kind of patching where you could record lets say 2 bar loops of anything, and when the recording stops, the Pinky vinyl takes control of playback?

How would you go about feeding Ms Pinky recorded waveforms without having to look up a file?
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:12 pm

I still need help making this idea more solid

http://vimeo.com/35278018
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:33 am

Pardon my ignunce-- but let's suppose Ms Pinky's M4L device could record audio into some sort of buffer, and then scratch that buffer using the turntable. Normally, the audio inputs (a stereo pair) for the Ms Pinky M4L device are occupied by the control signal from the vinyl (or CD). So how would Ms Pinky's M4L device get access to the audio signals you wish to have it record (given that as far as I know an audio channel in Ableton can have at most 2 inputs)? Can we route more than 2 channels of audio as inputs to a Ms Pinky M4L device (or any M4L device)? That is the crux of the matter....
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:21 am

OH I am definitely aware of the timecode vs audio input situation per track.

Originally with the MsPinky device, it could pick up recorded clips and load "highlighted" clips. Somewhere that quit working. However, as cool as an idea that is, loop recording into clips with Live is not as efficient as using a Loop Recorder. The benefit of the loop recorder is setting recording automation in a lot of ways. For example, do you want the recording to start quantized to the downbeat, or to start recording because of threshold input triggering, do you want the loop recording to stop when it has reached a certain bar length, etc...

That said, it would be ideal to get the recorded loop from the LoopRecorders buffer to Ms Pinky as fast as possible. Currently you cant have instant playback, in other words there is no way to get from the buffer in the loop recorder, to the Ms Pinky vinyl insync on the downbeat as soon as the loop is done recording. So what I am doing here, is having the Superlooper play the recorded loop 1 time through. During that one time, the Ms Pinky device

1. receives the file name
2. loads it
3. opens a gate allowing a transport device (in pinky) to send a bang on the downbeat, activating cue0 in the Pinky Device.
5. then mutes the track that the Superlooper is on.

So far this seems like the best approach, to get what seems like seamless looping from actually playing something, to scratching it on vinyl.

However I know my patching could be better. I kind of gave up on the "instant" playback idea, too much latency. So I dont mind the waiting 1 time for looper to play it, but I still want to make my patching more effective.

If you can PM me your email I will gladly sent you some stuff.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:35 pm

dlpinkstah wrote:Pardon my ignunce-- but let's suppose Ms Pinky's M4L device could record audio into some sort of buffer, and then scratch that buffer using the turntable. Normally, the audio inputs (a stereo pair) for the Ms Pinky M4L device are occupied by the control signal from the vinyl (or CD). So how would Ms Pinky's M4L device get access to the audio signals you wish to have it record (given that as far as I know an audio channel in Ableton can have at most 2 inputs)? Can we route more than 2 channels of audio as inputs to a Ms Pinky M4L device (or any M4L device)? That is the crux of the matter....
You could overpass this with two different patches.

1- Ms Pinky decoding signal patch without nothing more than input settings (for timecode) and output value of these (power, position, direction and so).

2- FX send patch with audio input from audio sends on Live and creating a realtime audio buffer (like reaktor beatlookup). If this "buffer" is scratching/scrubbing capable, once audio is recorded, you will be able to control the "sample position", "playback velocity" and "direction" to make the trick.

It could have "fixed" lenght or not. In the first place the Delta Value from signal analisys will be interpolated at "regular" values calculated using the live.transport and sampled lenght (simple division).
In the "on the fly" scenario it will be free from bpm and user responsability (sometimes these will be "one shot" samples and nobody will care about beatmatching).

I supose that we need a ~buffer object capable of these things. I'm researching a bit and I hope there is any object open source to do the job. Maybe studying bufflershuffler device we will get some light on this.

In other hand (as I told JuanSolo by mail) this is the first step and this kind of patch needs sync to have sense. It is not about "artform" or "maneuvers"... that's related to music composition based in loops and turntable manipulation.

Maybe it could be possible make all these functionality avariable to the maxipatch and link it with ableton (or wathever) by OSC/Python. In this case maxforlive will be useful but unnecessary.

;)

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:12 pm

Mudo means mute person.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:28 pm

I posted this at the Ableton M4L forum
https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=15
AND the DJTT forums
http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread ... post537894
I thought I would throw it up here too, but I hardly check this forum, and for some reason this forum does not notify me of replies very well. I do frequent the other 2 forums a lot though, especially the Ableton one, so if you respond, try it there. THANKS!

I think I made some progress on Live Looping with Ms Pink decks. Although it might seem redundant compared to my earlier posts, and the advice that was given, nevertheless it was working well for me last night, but it needs more testing, and I need advice on how to make this as smooth as possible.

3 patches, simple to set up if you want to try it out.
download them here.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1399581/PinkyPatches.zip

1. Put the "PinkLooper" device on a return track.

2. Put "LOOP Deck A" and "LOOP Deck B" devices on 2 different Tracks, and route your Pinky Vinyl audio into these Devices. These Devices use the mptcfs object to scrub a groove~ thats connected to 2 different buffers, one for each deck inside the "PinkLooper" device.

NOW Anything you route to that Return Track can be recorded in 1 - 8 bar looping fashion, quantized to Live, by pushing the "REC" button on either the "LOOP DECK A" or "LOOP DECK B"

A note on routing: On my Return Track where I put the "PinkLooper" device I set the Audio To > Sends Only and I dont turn up any send knobs. This way you only hear the Audio of what your playing until the loop is recorded. Once the Loop is recorded, the Pinky Vinyl will play it if the vinyl is spinning.

Think of the "REC" button like the Global Clip Launch quantize set on 2Bars.
The record start is quantized to the 1st downbeat every 2 bars. This means when you press record, recording will not start until the very beginning of the next 2 bars. I tend to work in 2 bar loops, so I hard coded it this way. When I am playing a synth loop, or something I want to record, I want to give myself a loose amount of time to hit record and everything to start in sync. I will probably add some flexibility to this, offering 1bar or less rec sync, maybe attach it to be set by the Clip Launch Quantization.

Eventually I will make it "FREE" of sync recording, allowing to user to record un-quantized loops by pressing record on and off. I will probably add some kind of overdub in the future too. Right now the goal is to keep it REALLY SIMPLE and working great.

Any tips on how to patch things better or any ideas about what works well during performance is welcomed.

THANKS!
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Cool Work mate!

I need to check your work, get clear my ideas and then put suggestions but as far as I can see/understand... you are in the right path with audio buffering capture like "remix decks" ;)

I have some nice ideas to transform this "simple" (and so great work friend) into the true Remix decks/The Bridge for Ms. Pinky.

Are you interested on these ideas?

Thanks once for your efforts.
-m!

Mudo means mute person.

jamesway

Post by jamesway » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:06 pm

You are the man Juansolo, I had been working on the same thing and had no idea the grooveduck existed, was trying to use pong. I added a simple +~ 0.001 object before the grooveduck to smooth the clicking noise from my pinky at very low speeds, mainly from cat hairs, does add a micro amount of drift but seemed to do the trick. Cheers Man!