Monitoring 2nd "turntable"

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
starzero
Monitoring 2nd "turntable"

Post by starzero » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:12 am

Is there a way to choose a turntable's output with a midi controller? I'm feeding back an output on my motu ultralite to the input of a crossfader to monitor the audio of the 2nd table. Basically I'm trying to emulate a classic 2 table setup with one table and a monome. I can click the output with the mouse and monitor that way with no problem, but I would like the ability to choose outputs with my monome (or other midi controller), if possible.

Thanks!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:32 am

It's probably easier to use the monome (or whichever MIDI controller you want) to set turntable control On or Off for each of the two virtual decks. Set up two instances of Ms Pinky, each using the same audio input from your single turntable. Then just toggle the turntable control On/Off in each instance. To do this you'll probably need to do a little re-patching if you're starting from the "MsPinky_M4L_AudioFX" device that is provided with the downloads. Just add a live.toggle button that either sends to mptcfs_sa~ a "control_mode 0" (to turn off turntable control) or a "control_mode X" to set turntable control to value X, where X is either 1 (relative mode), 2 (cue mode), or 3 (absolute mode).
xi-bot

Post by xi-bot » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:45 pm

dlpinkstah wrote:It's probably easier to use the monome (or whichever MIDI controller you want) to set turntable control On or Off for each of the two virtual decks. Set up two instances of Ms Pinky, each using the same audio input from your single turntable. Then just toggle the turntable control On/Off in each instance. To do this you'll probably need to do a little re-patching if you're starting from the "MsPinky_M4L_AudioFX" device that is provided with the downloads. Just add a live.toggle button that either sends to mptcfs_sa~ a "control_mode 0" (to turn off turntable control) or a "control_mode X" to set turntable control to value X, where X is either 1 (relative mode), 2 (cue mode), or 3 (absolute mode).
thats how i do it with ableton live since many years
works perfect - that's one of the things i love about mspinky
tsutek

Post by tsutek » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:49 pm

I am also interested in adding some way to assign a single timecode to various pinky instances in Live.

The way that I'd like it to work (as in what would be the most elegant solution IMO) is to use some kind of auto-sensing via the LiveAPI. What I mean is, that simply activating recording mode on an audio channel would also switch timecode control on automatically, and would switch timecode control off when an audiotrack is no longer in recording mode. This would work super-smoothly with an APC40/20! With this, you could control any number of decks simultaneously or individually (in absolute mode this would lead to serious trainwrecks of course but that I'm aware of).

IIRC there is a way to observe an audio track's recording status via LiveAPI?
tsutek

Post by tsutek » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:46 pm

Taken a first look at the LiveAPI documentation.. seems like you can observe a track's "recording armed" status with the API, so at least in theory, some sort of auto-sensing mode for the TC input seems possible ;)
tsutek

Post by tsutek » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:49 am

Got this one to work! this one is actually pretty easy to implement with the live API.

Now I still need to refine things, like add a pitch fader readout (need it to be able to "lock" back into a particular deck without audible jumps in the record).. having problems with max's scheduling again, surprise surpise :(

(Why oh why does max have such an a*al scheduling system.. totally not up to today's standards IMHO..)