Max4live: modified to send OSC, help w/auto-scale position?

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
StoryBoy
Max4live: modified to send OSC, help w/auto-scale position?

Post by StoryBoy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:39 am

Hey all,

I just received mspinky last week. How awesome!

So far i've managed to get the maxipatch controlling resolume via osc.
However the method is clumsy so I've explored modifying the m4l patch to send out osc in ableton. Just copied the osc section from the maxipatch (filescratchpatch_MPTCFS) and connected it appropriately to the m4live patch.

It works! but i'm having trouble getting the "auto-scale position by file length" to work as expected with scale, offset; min; max. In the original maxipatch for position osc out, I set: scale - 1, offset - 0, min - 0, max - 1, autoscale on, I get a value float between 0-1 which works with resolume. This is not the case with the m4l patch? I just get the value of whatever I set the max value to (unless very high like 20000, then the numbers run up) could it be the min max scaling function? Or is my understanding of the position output values a miss. The autoscale button works correctly as I can see the ouput value match fike_position_out in max4live when I toggle button. E.g When I change scale - 0.001 and max - 100 I get number that works but value 100 doesn't match end of file with autoscale giggled.

Any help would be appreciated, as Im struggling with only a little maxmsp knowledge. Thanks

(EDITED: Add screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about ... damn don't have 3 posts yet)

h**p://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4008/m4loscpatch.jpg
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:17 pm

Interesting...

I don't have answers at this time but I will love help you and share thoughts.

Maybe it is an issue with resolume or Maxipatch works with it?

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
StoryBoy

Post by StoryBoy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Hmm, thanks for the reply ... wish someone had an answer!

It's the way the MaxiPatch works and how values are scaled.

Somehow the Maxipatch works differently via Max4Live than as standalone. That's what I'm guessing but I'm unable to verify this.

:?
analogueheart

OSC from Ms Pinky M4L?

Post by analogueheart » Sun May 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi StoryBoy,

I've been trying to figure out whether the Ms Pinky plug in was capable of sending OSC and came across your post of last year. Can I ask how you got on with your modification? I'd be really interested to hear as it is exactly what I've been trying to do today (I also tried ripping the OSC part from the Maxi Patch and wiring it into the M4L effect, before I saw your post - but to no avail!).

If you got any further (or even if you would be willing to share your patch as far as you got it) then please let me know - I would be very grateful!

Many thanks,
Mike
StoryBoy

Post by StoryBoy » Fri May 24, 2013 11:18 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reply. Did you figure it out yet? I seem to remember OSC out working, just not being able to translate the values.

Would gladly share the patch but I'm not sure where I've placed it, as I haven't used the pinky for a while. And I can't remember exactly what I modified.

Perhaps have a look at the screenshot I sent in the initial post.

Will see if I can find the patch. And let you know.