Just getting into MP5 in live, but how-to?

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
tsutek
Just getting into MP5 in live, but how-to?

Post by tsutek » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi all,

Have mercy on me, first post..

I just got into the Ms Pinky club two nights ago, and I'm really awestruck by the completeness of this system! I was just looking for a cheap way of getting into timecode playing (been a long time Traktor user, but the upgrade policy from traktor to traktor scratch was just too much of a deal-breaker), but now it seems that I got a lot more than I'd ever hoped for :D

But yes, what I really wanted to ask is for some info on various things regarding the MP5 system and the Max/M4L side in particular.

Is there some in-depth reference documentation somewhere for the supplied max & msp externals somewhere? I'd like to know every possible message that you can send to uiwaveform and the ???360 object (the spinning pink disc thing) at least. I'm used to figuring things out in Max from the helpfiles, but the objects don't come with any (?)

Another thing that has me puzzled - When I installed the M4L version, I am missing the numbers from the time displays.. something I didn't put into the right folder perhaps? Or is it just my Ableton colourscheme (using a custom one)?

EDIT: Sussed out the not expanding uiwaveform.. If a sample is loaded the uiwaveform will not expand :p So please disregard that last one ;)

TIA for any assistance - Ms Pinky is a damn fine system!!

Cheers
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:32 pm

The waveform will draw out fully to the new size next time you load a file.

Sorry about the lack of help files. For the mptcfs_sa~ object there is a "help" patch called MsPinky_MPTCFS that shows all inputs/outputs and messages...
tsutek

Post by tsutek » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:10 am

Thanks for this.

Any ideas regarding the time displays not showing text?

Also, I'd really appreciate if there was a document that showed what messages the externals support (to help in customizing colours if for nothing else)
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:33 pm

uihmsf accepts these messages:

"set_digit_color R G B A" where R, G, B, and A are floats between 0.0 -- 1.0 to set (obviously) the red, green, blue, and alpha for the digits.

"set_background_color R G B A" similarly sets the background color.

The default color for uihmsf is full green for digits, black for background. So somehow the green is getting mapped to black by your colour scheme. Goofiness. Not sure why that is, but setting the color explicitly should solve your problem.

For uidial360 the color messages are:

"set_background_color R G B A"
"set_dial_bg_color R G B A"
"set_dial_hot_color R G B A"

For uiwaveform the color messages are:

"set_background_color R G B A"
"set_waveform_color R G B A".
tsutek

Post by tsutek » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:23 am

Big thanks for these!

I actually started writing a reference of the mptcfs~object, so might as well add this into my notes too ;)

For now I've only thought the reference would make my life easier - but you reckon the community could benefit from it as well?

Cheers
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:09 am

I'm sure your reference would be much appreciated! Please post.
tsutek

Post by tsutek » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:19 am

Ok, as soon as I get it to a usable draft state I can do that.. There's still a lot of things I need to find out (supported filetype codecs/variants etc).

By the way, just before collapsing at the computer due to sleep deprivation last night I tried setting alpha values to the UI objects.. didn't get it to work with uiwaveform nor uidial360? no matter what alpha value I sent, the tranparencies didn't change..
tsutek

Post by tsutek » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Ok, just sent you a PM regarding the ref document :)

And still couldn't set the alpha values to the objects..? Well, actually right now the most important cosmetic setting would be the size & color of the moving dot in the uidial360 - is there anything that can be done to change that?
clement-meloscratch

Uidial360 problem

Post by clement-meloscratch » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Hello ,

I also can't get the UIdial360 object to change background color and also alpha doesn't work
I could only set one specific color for dial hot color , but couldn't change , there seems to be bug somewhere..

set_background_color 0 0 0 1
set_background_color 1 1 1 1

For example , don't work , did I miss something ?
Isn't there any ref doc since those objects were released.
I'm using the latest pinky objects , downloaded 2 weeks ago, with max 6.0.8 on windows xp sp3.

Many thanks for your help , pinky is great !!
clement / meloscratch