problems with opening audio files

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
tsutek
problems with opening audio files

Post by tsutek » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:11 am

Hi,

I am making a barebones MsPinky TC scratcher/juggler from scratch in Max For Live. Got the basic functionality working, but I seem to have weird issues with loading files.

First I noticed that I am unable to load certain audio files. Weirdest thing is that they load up just fine in the original MsPinky patch supplied in the software package. Something to do with waveforms maybe? I am not utilizing waveforms at all in my own patch.. Are they necessary for the patch to work?

Another thing - some tracks load up when I am in edit mode, and I get sound and everything's working like intended. I close the patch and exit the edit mode and no sound anymore? The same files that load & play work in edit mode but not otherwise... WTF?

TIA for any assistance!
daze

Post by daze » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:34 am

I'm having this same issue. I can't get Ms Pinky to load certain audio files.

I've encoded as WAV, AIF, MP3, etc. Saved as different filenames. Removed the cached waveform files. Nothing has worked. Ms Pinky simply refuses to open at least two of my samples; the classic "Ah Yeah" scratch sample, and a 3sec sample of a sine wave.

At first, I thought it was because Ms Pinky was unaware of the samples, so I went through troubleshooting External Locations, etc. Still no luck for the samples that refuse to load.

These are the extra steps I have been taking for any new audio I absolutely need Ms Pinky to open:

1: Open the M4L patch
2: Open the External Locations dialog
3: List paths
4: Close the M4L patch

I haven't had Ms Pinky eat any more audio files since doing that little dance every time I add a sample to my scratch folder, but it's been a huge pain in the ass, and as a result I don't trust Ms Pinky enough to play it live... which is a huge disappointment, considering the investment.

Is there a (better) work-around for this issue? Has anyone else had this problem? Am I totally doin' it wrong?
tsutek

Post by tsutek » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:48 am

Just a thought - Have you tried loading the samples directly from the Live's browser? Does this help at all? This is how I load all my files, don't like using any "hacks" like adding stuff to maxpaths etc.. IMO it is Ableton's job to fix the issue with filenames, not mine ;)
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:21 am

Could you put some of these problem files into a dropbox or ftp location where I can download them and test? Thx in advance...
tsutek

Post by tsutek » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:32 am

It seems that at least my problems are not 100% repeatable. Therefore I am assuming that the problem is not in the files or their format.. Gotta dig a little deeper to find out what's amiss.. If only I could keep my hands off the platters for long enough to continue sorting this out :)

Will get back to you once I have some more grasp on this matter - It could be Max/M4L issue for all I know..
tsutek

Post by tsutek » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:42 pm

Another problem relating to the same thing? I cannot load mp3 files at all into my barebones pinky deck - only wav's or aiff's?

Is there a fundamental difference in how the mptcfs_sa~ loads mp3 files compared to the other formats (I'm assuming ms pinky uses quicktime for importing wav's & aiff's like max itself?)

What I have been glad to find out is that ms pinky supports 24bit/192k audio files!! The extra resolution is very welcome at playback pitches < -50% 8)