The dreaded prepended 000s

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
jamesway
The dreaded prepended 000s

Post by jamesway » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:25 am

Hi all, I'm a Pinky forum virgin, be gentle.

Ableton recorded clips add zeros. Has anyone solved or worked around this? I tried the 1000 recorded clips thing but it didn't work for me. Is this because I didn't copy the externals into max and simply added the folder in the Max file prefs? Honestly, I still am a bit confused about what goes where, but the max file folder pref option worked for me generally.
A better question might be, does loading of freshly recorded clips in Ableton work for anyone?, if so, WHY DAMNIT!:) Just joshin.
I'm just now delving into max, but in the meantime does anyone feel like making me my dream patch and sending me the link? Pretty please?

The main function I'm looking for is instant scratching of recorded audio or live input material. Here are a couple scenarios
I'm attempting to accomplish.

1. a single, simple audio buffer stream that is essentially a live stream scratcher, it has one button to bring needle back to start of buffer stream or the realtime audio position. No frills, just the ability to scratch a live input without the need for an audio clip. This would also allow ableton warping to do it's thing. A 10 second or so buffer should do the trick, I'd simply cue clips early that I wanted to scratch on the 1 beat. I was looking at the Max buffer, and sfrecord objects for this.

2. or some super awesome person could incorporate the MPTCFS~ object with the m4l monolake granulator instrument!
Might create some interesting sounds.
I was using that object as the template to try and incorporate a live buffer with Pinky but I'm a noob.

In either case, please hook a brotha up! I'm trying my best to wrap my head around Max but I'm a simple musician, as you can see I can't sleep either:) I'd much rather use the maxi patch with it's awesome midi and osc out but I really want some kind of realtime or quick scratching of live stuff. If I had a simple live input scratch patch I'd use that alongside the Maxi patch=my dream system:)

If you made it this far thank you very much for your time and consideration. Cheers.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:34 pm

I like your ideas!! I'm thinking seriously about it... but the pesky day job owns so much of my time these days :cry:
jamesway

Post by jamesway » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Thx for the reply Pinkstah. I'll post any headway I make, I'm now looking at the buffer shuffler m4l device as a template for using the buffer without a file. I would gladly pay a fair price for such a plug, aswell as many others I'm sure if they knew the possibilities.

Imagine this - you have a singer going through ableton and you have added say, a tempo synced filter delay to their voice. Then as the effect trails off their voice while your tweaking the filter or something, you could grab the vinyl and scratch some mayhem over top, hearing the live fx tweaking incorporated realtime.

If only money grew on trees and a dollar was a leaf, we'd only spend a few hours a day tending our gardens:), then again all the trees would be bare.
Last edited by jamesway on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesway

Post by jamesway » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:03 pm

So I haven't had much luck in my venture so far. I did stumble upon this m4l patch though! Its called scratch_sh, http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemuruser_mod ... php?id=197

It does what I'm trying to but with a lemur circle as the controller input. I'm having trouble incorporating the MPTCFS~ with the scratch_sh object as it tracks in a strange way I'm still trying to figure out. If anyone can help me do this, well I would love you very much, and maybe I'll mail ya a beer:)
Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Hey guys,

I've recently purchased Ms Pinky specifically for the functionality of scratching live recorded clips. so I've been searching like crazy for any updated solutions but I can't seem to find any. dlpinkstah I'm guessing you're the developer of these patches? Are you able to enlighten us with perhaps an ETA on when this may be fixed? I've gathered from other posts that being able to load freshly recorded clips into Ms Pinky used to work but somewhere along the way it stopped working? I'm guessing this could be something on the Ms Pinky end as opposed to Abletons end because their recorded file 0000 prefix has been around for a while....

JuanSOLO had been looking into this and found a looping solution but still isn't 100%. The functionality in Ms Pinky is fantastic and I just wish this particular issue could be fixed...is this possible?

Thanks in advance :)
jamesway

Post by jamesway » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:37 pm

They finally fixed it! The new attribute to use is file_path, and works great:)
tsutek

Post by tsutek » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:56 am

Are you saying that what I hoped for is now actually true?! That the new LiveAPI fixed the file_path attribute and one can now use MsPinky elegantly with any ableton audio clips without resorting to path hacks etc?!!!

If so I am really happy! Guess I should go ahead and upgrade to Live 9 then :D

Cheeeers
JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:48 pm

jamesway wrote:They finally fixed it! The new attribute to use is file_path, and works great:)
could you please elaborate on this.