Compiling Maxi Patch AO for dummies?

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
monosylabik
Compiling Maxi Patch AO for dummies?

Post by monosylabik » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:48 am

Hey, I just picked up Max/MSP, and have been trying to do some simple mods to Maxi Patch AO, which I've gotten working in the source patches. Problem is I have no idea what I need to do to compile it as a fully functioning app.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Yeah that's a little tricky. When you open the Maxi-Patch_AO in Max, it unfortunately has to block out the standard Max menu structure with its own menus. So before you can build the "standalone" application version, you have to go under the File pulldown and select "Max menus". This will restore the standard Max menu structures. Then under the File pulldown menu you can select "Build Collective/Application". This brings up a window with a bunch of stuff that I'll refer you to the Max/MSP users guide for understanding. For now, just hit the "Build" button. This brings up a dialogue where you choose the location and name of your built application, and select "Application" from the "File Format" selector. Once you hit save, the patch is is saved along with a run-time version of Max/MSP into the application bundle with the name you specified. For Maxi-Patch_AO, that's basically all there is to it. To build Maxi-Patch_AV, you'll need to do the same as described here, but also copy into the application bundle some additional libraries for the video stuff....
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:06 pm

When you run the standalone built Maxi-Patch_AO that you've created, you'll need to be sure that the file "Maxi-Patch-AO.xml" is in the same directory with the built application. You can get this .xml file from the download folder where you get the standalone Maxi-Patch_AO that we distribute. This .xml file contains all the settings for Maxi-Patch_AO including GUI colors, slider settings, etc.... Otherwise a .json file gets created for saving the settings but you'll have to start all over from scratch to set everything in the app the way you want it. You can do that, it just takes a while...
monosylabik

Post by monosylabik » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:02 am

Awesome, got it working!

I ran into a bit of trouble because I hadn't installed the Ms Pinky externals (put them in Cycling '74 > max-externals folder) and was missing the xml.