using some over head to get a low end.

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
sec-def
using some over head to get a low end.

Post by sec-def » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:52 pm

I noticed a while ago that when using the recommended settings (a.i about 6db below the cut off point) I lose allot of low end- as in when I scratch the slow movements are cut off and there's this tiny little but noticeable skip right above where all the fatness happens.

after some experimenting I found this little way which helps.
this is how I do it I set the sharpness to a reasonable ratio, in my case it's somewhere between 2.1-2.8 now this cut off sharpness does in did cut allot of wanted bass. so now I'll use the loudest possible (possible here means with no distortion-no higher rate) signal path.
now go to the spot you'd usually set the threshold, in my case it's was about -13 db when using my turntables line output.
hold down the record while the platter is spinning and reduce the threshold
to as low as you can tolerate. (I managed to drop it to about -29db with out it being to noisy or sluppy)
you'll know you're pushing it once the the pink record in m4l patch starts moving in one direction, once that happens you'll need to climb back up.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:38 am

Are you using a phono preamp before the input to your audio converter?
The reason I'm asking is because if you don't use a phono preamp (with the inverse RIAA equalization curve) the signal from your turntable will be noticeably high-pass filtered and that can definitely result in the kind of drop-outs you're describing at low scratching velocities. When a vinyl disc is cut, the mastering process includes applying the RIAA equalization for the recording process, which is basically a strong high-pass filter. The idea is to boost the high frequencies a lot as the signal is recorded onto the vinyl, so on the playback side, that is equalized by a strong low-pass filter, which has the useful side effect of lowering surface noise from dust, surface damage, etc. It's a pretty cool design. So a typical phono preamp has a strong bass boost as a result of it's undoing the RIAA equalization curve. But I guess if your turntable has line-level output, then the turntable probably does the RIAA equalization.

Does any of that make sense? :wink:
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:35 pm

it actually makes allot of sense. I don't use phono pre-amps but while using
my turntable's line output I get the same affect. only difference is me being able to lower the sharpness a bit. but the way I do it now is pretty great for me, feels like real vinyl the only short coming is some hiss and noise while holding down the record while the platter spins. which is something you'de expect from a REAL vinyl so this works out fine.