Single turntable with mutiple ms pinky instances

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
timandtheocean
Single turntable with mutiple ms pinky instances

Post by timandtheocean » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi Guys,

Did anyone got ms pinky (m4live) got to work with only one turntable??

I mean that you can assign the control to a ms pinky m4live instance, then set the pitch. then select another instance to recieve the control signal.

After you come back to the first instance and you lock the control signal to it that the pitch doesn't change only untill you move the pitchfader while the signel is send to that channel???

like this you could use one turntable to control many ms pinky instances.

I cannot seem to find a way to do it.

Please help
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:01 pm

You can do that by alternately enabling and then disabling vinyl control on one or more instances of Ms Pinky. When you disable vinyl control, the playback pitch locks into whatever the last pitch setting of the turntable happened to be. For this type of operation you should probably use relative mode control.
tsutek

Post by tsutek » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:17 pm

But what about switching decks between different playback pitch settings? I have dabbled with this by making an UI object that displays the pitch values of each deck, but so far haven't gotten it to work reliably in the transitions (sometimes the playback pitch goes haywire after switching).. And even that would require manual pitch adjusting on the DVS end..

Switching between timecode controlled ms pinky decks is easy enough to implement in M4L, it's what happens after you switch that's the difficult part..
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:32 pm

Why not to detach key from bpm?
In some DAWs you have the option of "pick up value scale" (or something loke this xP) which means the potentiometer will wait until you release the position (in this case the pitch/key) until you reach the value it have.

In this way if you implement the relative position with a division argument (dependent from the deviation on every pitch deck in a adaptative way) you could still control the new deck without too much flutter...

Then when you pick the value the deck will back to control both (if you want it, sure) triggering a bang everytime the value reach the new/old point...

If you don't need the key/pitch, it will be easy (I hope) xP

Ps: good news, I'm back! ;)

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms