The clip I am scratching stops when I cut the crossfader

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
sgreeno
The clip I am scratching stops when I cut the crossfader

Post by sgreeno » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:37 pm

I am using the MsPinky Revised Max audio effect to scratch audio clips in ableton which is working well.

The problem I am having when trying to scratch is that the clip stops moving forward when I cut the crossfader. This makes it impossible to pull the vinyl back to rescratch a certain wave in the clip.

I am really new to using timecode vinyl, so Im sure this is probably a really simple fix.

I basically have the MsPinky Max effect on an audio track with my MsPinky vinyl signal coming into the track in stereo.

I understand that the vinyl emits a high frequency that the software reads which allows the clip to play back, so it makes sense to me that when cutting the crossfade on my mixer that the play back of the clip would stop because the frequency coming from the record has been silenced, but this sucks for trying to pull the record back to scratch a part of the clip.

What am I doing wrong?? How can I get the clip to continue to play through when I cut the crossfader?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:58 pm

You're correct that the tones from the record need to be fed directly to the software without any interruptions. This means you need to get an audio converter that accepts direct turntable connection (such as the M-Audio Conectiv or the NI-Audio 6/8 DJ) or get a separate phono preamp to drive the inputs to your audio converter rather than using the post-fader output from your mixer.

If you change your setup to feed the turntable signal directly to the software (pre-fader) you'll be much happier! :wink:
sgreeno

Post by sgreeno » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:02 pm

Yeah I figured that out this week after doing some research online, Ive got a conectiv interface on the way.

Thanks!