Max7 and maxforlive

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
Mudo
Max7 and maxforlive

Post by Mudo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi Pinksters!

Interesting things in the last years... But today I want to talk about the new Max7 and its implications over maxforlive.

When Cycling'74 (maxmsp devs) and Ableton Live announced their partnership I get excited about the wonderful possibilities coming. The maxforlive patch was more or less the "tool" I have in my mind... But the drawbacks of Ableton Audio Api (not totally improved by Max audio api neither) such no warping buffers, one audio input restriction for max instrument, not true midi/audio max instrument... In addition to their own drawbacs in Live such crash, lost "share" feature and Serato The Bridge fail (rumours of new Bridge are in the Serato forums) make me consider the opposite path: Return to Max7 as a Ladypink hosting.

Maybe someone could argue that Scratch Track from stagecraft software or even the full livetronika studio could do more or less what I described time ago. Some other could argue over the Remix Decks (which essentially are Live Audio clips inside Traktor deck like m4l ms pinky device try to be bypassing the warping problem and so on...) but no, there aren't yet and probably they will not be never.

It is in the nature of Maxmsp environment itself which is not at "full-focused commercial" brands like Serato or NI which makes Ms. Pinky attractive because it make her "customizable".

So the aim of this topic is to discuss about how users imagine the new era of Ms. Pinky and what features they will see. It is not an official statment of nothing due I'm only a contributor as any of you could be and it is DLP who has the last word at last... But if we (all of us) grow a modular Ms.P which will be your opinion mate? Let's talk...

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:51 pm

Hola Mudo! It's good to hear from you again. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:13 am

It will be interesting see how people imagine "the future of djing" ;)

Mudo means mute person.

jamesway

Post by jamesway » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:54 pm

Greetings, I haven't checked the forums in a long time, nice to see you guys are still around. I'm about to invest in Max 7 aswell and get back into patching with Pinky.
One thing I'm hoping for is improved latency sending a floating number out to other plugs within ableton, so we could have a master patch that can send multiple signals to other plugs for all kinds of things. It still won't be audio rate as far as I know, but hopefully a fast enough float with the new scheduler.
With old patches I had started looking at Pinky vinyl as more of a giant super high resolution knob with record like speed effects.
I'm excited to see what everyone creates. Cheers.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:59 pm

I see it as an infinite encoder (relative position) but also a timeline (absolute). Booth datas could be useful in DAW paradigm.

Nice to see you back!

Mudo means mute person.