MAX MSP CRASH

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
mr_pinky
MAX MSP CRASH

Post by mr_pinky » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:05 pm

i have just got ms pinky software and when i try to load the audio and video patch, MAX MSP LOADS UP, BRINGS UP THE SOFTWARE AND THEN CRASHES. The other versions seem to work (audio only version etc.).

I am using a PC with windows xp.

i was just wondering if any else has encountered any such problems?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Delete Maxi-Patch Preferences Folder

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:52 pm

I think the problem is that somehow Maxi-Patch preferences files are getting corrupted.... :cry:

So, find the folder called "Maxi-Patch_Prefs Files" and delete it. It should be in

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Cycling '74\.

I think this will solve the crash.

If not, also go into the folder where Maxi-Patch_AV.exe lives and find the files "maxi-patch.xml", "audio_folders", and "QT_folders" and delete them.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Don't forget to install QuickTime for WinXP

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:20 am

Another thing that could be causing Maxi-Patch to crash on startup is if you forgot to download and install the latest version of QuickTime for WinXP from:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Very important!!
mr_pinky

still not workin.....

Post by mr_pinky » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:13 pm

hey

thanks for the reply...

however it does not seem to help.. i have been unable to locate the 'maxi patch preferences fil' folder ( not in C:documents and sets'. or anywhere else i have looked. I do have the latest version of quicktime and i tried deleting the files from the maxi patch folder you suggested, but it just seems to shut down quicker....

any other ideas??????
afreek1000

Post by afreek1000 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:15 pm

I think what pinkstah ment was navigate to folder "Maxi-Patch_Prefs Files"

via: C:>Documents and Settings>YourUserName>Application Data>Cycling '74

^^^"YourUserName" is not an actual folder,the name you have given yourself on your computer is your username thus>YourUserName<will be replaced with that name.........usually seen at start up/welcome screen.

Also make sure "hiddin folders/files" is unchecked or you will not be able to see these folders.

I know what Pinkstah is saying works cause I used to have this problem with the Maya USB 44 soundcard drivers- deleting this folder erased the old settings.
mr_pinky

Post by mr_pinky » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:37 pm

cheers,

yes i now have found the application data folder by showing the hidden files, bur this did not work.

there was file named Maxi-Patch_Prefs Files and deleting this did not help. there was also a file named Max 4 Preferences Files and removing this also did not help.

????????????
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post the make & model of your PC

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:30 pm

Wow. This is a bummer. Some questions for you:

0) Make and Model of your PC

1) CPU Speed

2) RAM

3) What exact version of XP are you running (SP1,2,etc)?

4) What sound card do you have?

5) What other peripheral devices are connected to your PC?

Also-- since this is evidently a Max/MSP/Jitter crash, please send a crash report (including crash log) to Cycling-'74. I'll keep working on it from my end too, but the C-'74 guys may be able to help you better than I can :cry:
mr_pinky

Post by mr_pinky » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:53 am

problem solved ! !

it was suggested that my graphics card might be the problem. possibly the open GL drivers that jitter requires,

i have a matrox millenium g550

i downloaded the drivers for my card and its working . .

thanks for the help . .