Replacing vinyl with pots?

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
apophene
Replacing vinyl with pots?

Post by apophene » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:22 pm

Folks-

I have an application in mind where I need to "scratch" five files simultaneously (not all my hands, of course!) via five continuous potentiometers and an ADC with which I can generate scaled values.

Is there a way to use MPTCFS~ without vinyl control to do this? Or with vinyl control with pot-controlled MSP signal generators to replicate the signal from the vinyl?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,

apo
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Use MPFS~ instead

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:30 pm

Don't forget about the good old MPFS~ object. It has the same file playback and scratching capabilities as MPTCFS~, but it is unencumbered by the vinyl tracking control code. It has two signal inputs. The left input is for a velocity signal that will set the rate of playback. Positive values dictate forward direction playback, negative signal values dictate reverse playback. So just generate any signal in max and connect it to the left input and you'll be scratching the file playback. To start, you can simply disconnect the right signal input which is for a position signal. To cue up your file just send it the cue messages as shown in the sample patch "MsPinky_absolute_mode".

Can we make it any easier for you??? I don't think so... :wink:
Naqoyqatsi

Post by Naqoyqatsi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:20 pm

Hi everyone !

I have a question regarding the different objects which can perform scatching. I got this from an email earlier:
Just a note: starting with the new version (5) of Max/MSP, we are only really supporting one external object for Ms Pinky: "mptcfs~". It has
both the file scratching and the vinyl tracking code all rolled into one convenient package.
How can i "simulate" scatching within the MPTCFS object ?
Any ideas ?

**Off Topic
Here is what i want to perform with that object.
I have a midi fader (value 0 - 127) and i want to use it for scratching. So middle Position (about value 64) should be the starting point. By moving the fader it should scratch back or forth.

Thanks to all helpers !

Naq