can't drop folders into the middle windows

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
sean
can't drop folders into the middle windows

Post by sean » Mon May 08, 2006 8:22 am

I can drop files individually into the QT Window or MP3 window on the left side, but I can't drop them into the middle menu buttons. Also does anyone know what the best format to save and import video into ms. pinky (or jitter for that matter)? I think I recall something called photo jpeg, but it has been a while. In info would be much appreciated,

sean
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: can't drop folders into the middle windows

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue May 09, 2006 2:17 am

sean wrote:I can drop files individually into the QT Window or MP3 window on the left side, but I can't drop them into the middle menu buttons.
Two things:

1) You're not supposed to drop anything on the menu buttons themselves. What you're supposed to do is to drag folders (not individual files) to the little square regions where you see the text "drag& drop folder with...".

2) You can't drag and drop individual files to the center folder/file selection regions. You must drag only FOLDERS which contain files (and other sub-folders) to these regions.
sean wrote:Also does anyone know what the best format to save and import video into ms. pinky (or jitter for that matter)? I think I recall something called photo jpeg, but it has been a while.
I recommend PHOTO-JPEG format because it is computationally easier for the computer to decode these images, even though the files sizes when you save in this format are not as small as when you use some other more efficient encoders.
sean

can't dropping folders into maxipatch

Post by sean » Tue May 09, 2006 2:46 am

I've tried dropping folders into the box where it says "drag & drop folders...", but nothing happens. I get an error: js: no function recursion or error: js: no function recursefolders. Do you have any idea why this might be happenning? Thanks for the tip on photojpeg for the video format.

Sean
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue May 09, 2006 3:51 am

(1) What version of Maxi-Patch are you running?

(2) Under what OS? (Mac or WinXP)

(3) Are you running Maxi-Patch in the editable form using Max/MSP?
cubus

Post by cubus » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:21 pm

hello there

got the same problem with the folders.

the maxi_patch AV works fine by itself, exept that I can't drop folders in the middle. My bigger problem though is that, when I try to open the maxi_patch_AV.mxf in Max,the patch loads, but before turning from purple to green Max crashes. I tried deleting "those" folders, I only found the Max 4 Preference files where they should be and deleted it, but still crashes. Here's what I get on crash:

error:midi_dm:error 88480032 activating port

error:midi_mme:error 8 opening output device Microsoft GS Wavetable

coil:no file Batch Folders

coil:no file Sound Folders

coil:no file QT Folders

error:coil:can't find file audio_folders

error:coil:can't find file QT_folders

There are two files in the AV folder named audio_folders and QT_folders. They are totally empty and have no file extension, is this supposed to be? I couldn't find any Batch or Sound Folders.

Just so you're happy: I'm using a PC-Laptop with XP and bought the U46DJ. I also got all the latest Pinky downloads. Max is version 4.5.5 and Jitter I downloaded 2 days ago.

I'm a total Max newbie so I don't really know how to work with the externals, but I would really like to add some functions to the patch, so I need to be able to open the patch in Max I guess.

pleeese help mister pinsky
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Don't try to open a .mxf file!!!!

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:29 pm

First of all, you must download and install the latest versions of Max/MSP and Jitter from Cycling74.com. Don't try to mix and match older versions of Max/MSP and Jitter. They won't work. On WinXP, I'm currently using Max/MSP 4.5.7 and Jitter 1.5.2.

Secondly- don't try to open the .mxf file that comes with the standalone version of Maxi-Patch_AO/AV! The .mxf are _not_ editable patches. Wrong. Bad. :roll: Instead, if you're on WinXP, you must download the archive called "MaxMSPWinXP.zip" from the mspinky.com/download page. In that archive you'll find a folder called "externals". Put the contents of that folder inside your Max/MSP external objects folder. If you don't know what that is or where it is, then that is your homework assignment. Find it. Figure it out. Cycling '74 has tons of documentation on how to use Max/MSP and it's your job to read it and know it.

Going back to the MaxMSPWinXP.zip archive, after you've installed the externals where they need to go, the next thing is to put the entire contents of the "patches" folder within the Max/MSP patches search path. Again, if you don't know what this is, then you have some homework to do. I leave that as an exercise for the reader. Once you've got all the patches and externals installed in their proper places, then and only then will you be ready to begin the process of modifying the patches.

The contents of the MaxMSPWinXP.zip archive comprise the entire set of patches, javascript, GLSL, and graphics files that are necessary to build the current versions of Maxi-Patch_AO/AV. So I'm quite certain they all work, including the folder drag'n'drop stuff. So please double-check that you have the latest version of the MaxMSPWinXP.zip archive from the mspinky.com/download/ page. It could be that you have an older version of this archive than what is currently up there, and that may be why you're encountering these errors.

NOTE: OSX users also have access to the latest patches and externals as well. They are in an archive called "MaxMSP_OSX.zip" on the download page.
cubus

Post by cubus » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:26 pm

thanks for the spanking and la petite homework :oops:

so I put the externals/patches in the search path and I can open the externals, well I tried MsPinky_MPTCFS, without getting no such object. But I still don't know how to get the pretty boxes to work. Sorry for being so naive, guess I really have to read the tutorials all the way down.

But can you tell me which tutorials are important to read to get the patch working like it does in standalone mode? for a start?

submissively thank you
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

make sure javascript files are installed

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:42 pm

If the drag 'n drop stuff still doesn't work for you then you probably don't have the javascript files installed someplace where Max can find them.

Did you make sure you've also got the entire contents of the "javascript" folder (inside the Maxi-Patch folder) somewhere within the Max search path?

As far as the tutorials are concerned.. yes, you should go through all of them... (even though I never did) :wink:
cubus

Post by cubus » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:22 pm

:wink: