Looping

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
mathsieve
Looping

Post by mathsieve » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:56 pm

Hi

I want to modify ms pinky so that i can have a series of loop points in each wave file (eg, for intro/outro). I'd like the file to loop that part until i hit a key. I had ago at making a simple max patch that reads the time position and sends a cue message at the end point to loop back to the start of the loop. However this doesn't work very well :(

Can some one suggest a better way?

How does the file looping work?

Thanks
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Loop points should be done in C Code

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:31 pm

Actually it should be done in C code internally inside the file player objects. Doing ad-hoc looping externally by sending cue messages is problematic because of unpredicatable timing situations in Max. I've been meaning to implement loop point functionality in the Ms Pinky externals for a long time so hopefully now that all that Universal Binary conversion stuff is pretty much taken care of I can go back to creating actual new features.. like loop points. :wink:
mathsieve

Post by mathsieve » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:50 pm

That would be amazing! I'd hoped max's timing would be good enough for this to work - but as i put all the pieces together today, i was sorely disappointed.

Just a suggestion/wish - if loop points were added could they be stored in some external file which is easily editable? One of the things i always disliked about Ableton is that marking files up is so tedious using their little wave editor window. It's so much easier to use Sound Forge for everything, because it has a well designed interface. I actually spent a couple of days this week writing a python script that takes sound forge's .sfl files and converts the data into text that i could load into max coll objects...
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

cool!

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:22 pm

Very cool!!

What I will probably do is to store them in the .wvf files that I currently use to store waveform data. I guess I can put them at the start of the .wvf file in a format that will be readable in a text editor so you can modify externally without much trouble. I guess they really should be stored as .xml ... hmmmm.....