need help with QTMovie_Control

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
cubus
need help with QTMovie_Control

Post by cubus » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:01 pm

Somehow, when I try to open the "MsPinky'sMaxi-Patch.mxb" in Max it always crashes, although all the other externals work. So I tried to assemble my own. So far I haven't got very far cos I'm a newbe in Max.
Anyway I added the QTMovie_Control.mxb as an object to the "MsPinky_MPTCFS" patch, conected the rate and position signal values to the inlets on the right and a jit.qt.movie object to the left inlet. Left outlet goes to pwindow, right outlet to the mptcfs~. This setup is not working right, because I get an error: jit.qt.movie: doesn't understand "jit_matrix".
I know that the inlet in the QTMovie_Control object routes "read", but I don't know how to connect the jit.qt.movie to it without getting the error, I tried connecting a read and a bang to jit.qt.movie but still the same: it plays the movie or sometimes just the sound for a second, then stops.
what shall I do?
I'd like the patch to be able to just scratch the video without any zoom/rot or keying effects.

I'm using a Toshiba Sattelite Laptop, ATI X600, 1GB Ram, U46DJ, Max 4.5.5, Jitter 1.5.2, latest Pinky updates.

'd be glad for help
cubus

Post by cubus » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:00 pm

:shock: OK guys, lets put it different! :

What do I need to do, if all my externals exept for the full patch are working, to control a quicktime movie with the position signal?
What objects do I need, how do they connect?

cmon, this can't be too hard.

I'd really apreciate your help a lot! Thanks in advance...
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

86.1328125 position stamps per second

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:19 am

It is quite simple. In the Maxi-Patch patches the answer is there for you. It's just a simple arithmetic conversion between the position signal and the values you can use to cue up the jit.qt.movie object for QT movie playback.

But let's derive it from first principles. The position stamps on the vinyl occur at a rate of 86.1328125 per second when the playback rate is exactly 33-1/3 rpm. The position signal comes from the Ms Pinky Max/MSP externals as an audio-rate signal, which needs to be converted to a series of common max messages using the number~ object. Please see the patches entitled "FileScratchPatch_MPTCFS" and "QTMovie_Control.mxb". In the patch "FileScratchPatch_MPTCFS" you can see how the audio-rate position signal from the mptcfs~ object gets converted to Max messages using the number~ object. Then in "QTMovie_Control.mxb" you can see how to convert these values to messages to cue up the QT movie. Just follow the signal paths through the whole way. I have to leave it as an exercise to the reader. :wink:
cubus

Post by cubus » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:41 am

Thanks for the communication.
Well, I already looked at the QTMovie_Control.mxp for about two days, trying to figure out where the signal goes, though this complex mess is not easy for a max newbie. So this is how far I got:
If I choose for example option 2 from the mode menu (play with vinyl), it bangs "file_position_out 0" to the mptcfs, then opens the gates for rate and position signals. The position signal is going through some operations at the end of which, if it's above 600 the gate is banged again. I don't quite get whats happening before that. Anyway the "time $1" message is sent to the jit.qt.movie object, probably altered by the signal. At some point before that or after, the first trigger object also triggers two delays, a "stop" and an "autostart 0". The left inlet processes the file only it does not except a read message, I'd be happy to know how to get the file read.
The route object in the right outlet of jit.qt.movie gives information to calculate the "time" and the framecount.
It seems to me, these are the core functions of the patch, my problem is only a lack of experience and knowledge of the calculations and objects.
I am willing and motivated to learn all the stuff with time, it's only that I don't have much time now until my diploma in media arts at which point I need to have a simple patch working to support a complex media installation. Most of the work I still have to do is in other fields and needs a lot of time aswell, so I'd be very happy if you could just tell me what goes into the left inlet and what the essential functions are to get the movie played by the signal.
I could also send you my diploma concept (again), if you're courious.

with much respect to your programming skills
yours truly