n00b can't get max examples to get moving

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
Tone Deft
n00b can't get max examples to get moving

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:39 pm

I've made some max patches and a few days of classes but I'm pretty n00bish with it all. I opened the max patches and couldn't get them to do anything with the Pinky vinyl playing. it seems that the audio routing wasn't all there, dunno.

I've had Pinky for a few days and can't put it down!! the woman of my dreams!!

thanks for any tips.

btw hello! I'm an active Ableton Live user and can be found terrorizing their forum regularly. I hope to push Live/Pinky integration.

great thing I've found with Live and Pinky (IMO), right click on your clips, select 'crop' then point Pinky to the 'crop' directory in the Live project file, you now have synced loops to use within Live. (Live does add 50mS to each end of the loop, so it will drift a bit.)
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:51 am

1) Did you install the Ms Pinky externals in your Max/MSP externals folder?
2) In max put a VU meter object on the signal path that you're feeding to the Ms Pinky object(s). Make sure the levels are appropriate.

Also- you might want to start with something simpler than the whole Maxi-Patch. A good starter patch is "MsPinky_MPTCFS". It shows all the inputs/outputs and commands that the mptcfs~ object needs to do vinyl-controlled audio file playback.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:30 am

I did none of that, many thanks!!!
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:00 am

I have brzbrzbrzbrzbrzbrzbrzbrzbrzbrzbrzbzrbzbrzbrz audio playthrough, on my way, thanks!

1at quest is to scratch realtime from a mic source (for example), saw a youtube, makes sense, chang

2nd quest is to have Pinky send cc values.

all seem like the obvious projects, thought I'd cut to the chase by asking before swearing at max and learning the hard way.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:31 pm

1) To scratch from a mic input, you'll need to set up a buffer~ object to record into, and then use a groove~ object to scratch the buffer~ object. The rate signal input of the groove~ object can in turn be driven by the velocity signal output from mptcfs~. Make sense?

2) You could translate the velocity, or the position output signals from mptcfs~ into CC's (I believe) using one of Max's marvelous MIDI objects....

As far as doing this without breaking a sweat and cursing Max (and Ms Pinky)??? Hah! Did you really think it would be so easy?? :wink:
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:50 am

thanks!

it won't be easy but at least now I can skip the headscratching and go right to the swearing.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:21 am

quest 1...
fun fun fun.

take the groove~ help file, add a uslider-> /100.0 to sig~ to the left input of groove~ hitme

kewl. just need some boxes to make the control feel natural.

I've been wondering for like 15 years if a computer scratch could be done, then the CDJs came out and I wondered how it was done, nothing but scrubbing an audio file.

swwwwwwweeet!

next step, add Pinky... or some random goofyness in max. ;)