MIDI CC and Beat Clock Outputs

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
dlpinkstah
Site Admin
MIDI CC and Beat Clock Outputs

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:36 am

If any of you OSX Ms Pinky users are ready to try something new, please download the "very early beta" version of Maxi-Patch_AO 3.6.9. There is now a new tabbed view, and one of the tabs is "MIDI out". Under this tab you will find controls for selecting available MIDI out devices, and enabling either of the two "modes" of MIDI Output I've come up with:

Mode 1: MIDI CC (Control Change) Output -- in this mode, MIDI CC messages are sent out on the device you choose, on the channel and controller number that you specify. The frequency with which these CC messages are sent is also specified by you. You also specify the "ticks per rotation" to match the characteristics of the jogwheel you're seeking to emulate. The MIDI CC messages are constructed like this: when the turntable is stopped, the value output is 64. When the turntable spins forward, the value is greater than 64. When the turntable spins in reverse, the value is less than 64. The amount by which it is greater or less than 64 depends on how many "ticks per rotation" you set, and how often you set the CC messages to be sent, and of course it also depends on the speed of the record on your turntable. You will probably have to experiment a bit with all these values to get something that works the way you want it to.

Mode 2: MIDI Beat CLock Output -- in this mode, you set a "Target BPM". If you need it, there is a little "Tap Tempo" calculator just below that can help you calculate your target BPM. After you enter your Target BPM, you'll see that the turntable speed modulates this Target BPM up or down, depending on the pitch of playback. You can set various parameters of the MIDI CLock output -- for example, I found that with Ableton it works quite well to set "Divisions of a whole note" to 96. Ableton seems to have no trouble synching up to the beat.

Each of these two modes can be engaged or disengaged independently. To specify the output device for each mode, double-click on the little "midiout" box underneath the section that has the controls for each mode.

To get things going, I highly recommend using a great little utility you can get for free called "MIDI Monitor".

I'll be waiting to hear if anyone thinks this is useful and/or if it even works on your system.

My system:

MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, OSX 10.5.5
Ableton 7.0.7
Max/MSP 5.0.4
M-Audio Conectiv soundcard
M-Audio X-Session Pro knob-box
2 X Technics 1200

Sorry no Windoze version of this yet. Coming soon... I hope.
Pamal

Re: MIDI CC and Beat Clock Outputs

Post by Pamal » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:35 am

Hi,
for me, this looks like very interesting but I'm windoze platformed!
feedback would be great!
anyone?
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Download the windows version.

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
Pamal

Post by Pamal » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:49 am

oooh....
I'm really sorry, I just upgrade to gen 4 with the last software, and I use directly pinky-pluggo for a precise application; then sorry to post before taking enough time with maxi-patch.
I can't really try it (or just visualy) because I have no midi hardware gear; all my instruments are virtual ones.
then maybe I have to add this feature in the vst and route midi in my host, even if it's still a bit hard for me to build a correct collective.
(or do I miss something again?)

Pamal

ps: I jump over the 3rd and pass directly to gen 4
it works really perfectly!! thanks a lot.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:28 pm

mmm...

this is to SEND midi TO anything... you could scratch every Midi control that your host or vst (inside a host) could be mapped...

For example, you could draw volume curves, fx parameters... in scratch manner...

Mudo means mute person.

Pamal

Post by Pamal » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi Mudo,

thank you to reply.
I understand that I can assign vinyl control to anything
but
if I want to control a volume curve or a fx parameter in my host I have to open the maxi-patch.
it's not so easy to have both applications opened with no conflict, and I need 2 soundcards, after that I have to map the midi from mspinky to my host but I don't find a simple internal manner to realize it.
maybe it would be better to do it with pinkyvst or pinky-pluggo... or have I to learn other things?
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Do you need only the input for giving midi control, not the outputs but of course it would be great as vst or "standalone translator". I'm sure that Scott is reading us...

You could rewire the sound inputs outputs with any virtual audio cable (like soundflower in mac) from Host to Maxipatch and return...

Do you caught me?

;)

Mudo means mute person.

Pamal

Post by Pamal » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:19 pm

thanks Mudo,
speaking about soundflower was a good advice....

I found 'midi yoke' for windows:
(http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http:// ... /myoke.htm),

and now I can use this midi control feature and it's really amazing...
I'll spend the next days to experiment more, and adjust the calibration of my midi scratch control.

for the moment, I'm still using two soundcards:
the first for the DAW and the second one for ms pinky (a emi6/2, and I know: it works really bad!).
I scratch audio with pinky_pluggo; maybe routing audio can be a solution for just using maxi-patch...

but I agree that all in one vst would be great.

and thanks a lot Scott for your imaginative implements.

Mudo

Post by Mudo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:41 am

Yes, he is "truly" imaginative...

eh Scott?

xDD

Mudo means mute person.

dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:25 pm

Not really. All my ideas come from MUDO :wink:
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Tue May 19, 2009 11:47 am

Thanks!

Mudo means mute person.

mr.

Post by mr. » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:09 am

midi beat clock is soooo important.. i now use ms.pinky exclusively with my macbook pro 2.6 ghz, after dismissing it almost 4 years ago because i used a windows based pc!!!
--- -- -
honeo

Post by honeo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:38 am

that was just the thing i'm waiting for and the reason why i bought Ms.Pinky!
Midi CC with vinyl. Thats fantastic, i can't hardly wait to test it!
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:34 am

It is just the start evolution...

Scott we have a "wishlist"?

;)

Mudo means mute person.

timandtheocean

Post by timandtheocean » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:35 pm

to me 127 steps are somewhat limited to get the dynamics from scratch movements to cc.

I would suggest to use an 12 bit controller like midi note property. offering 4096 steps