Use MPTCFS~ without TC vinyl?

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
gavspav
Use MPTCFS~ without TC vinyl?

Post by gavspav » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:38 pm

I read on these forums that with the old 4.6 max objects it was possible to substitute the time code vinyl signal and use any incoming values to scratch with.

Is this feature still available with the new object?

If so how?

And please don't let it be sample the cd timecode and scrub the file cos I am thinking of it!

Also can I ask - is there complex processing at work which makes the scratch more realistic than say scrubbing the playback speed in max? Or is the end result the same?

Thanks

G
gavspav

Post by gavspav » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:23 pm

Bump
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: Use MPTCFS~ without TC vinyl?

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:40 am

gavspav wrote:I read on these forums that with the old 4.6 max objects it was possible to substitute the time code vinyl signal and use any incoming values to scratch with.

Is this feature still available with the new object?
Not currently available in the same way it used to be. Basically if you want the best scratching results, you need to use either a turntable with Ms Pinky vinyl, or a CDJ with Ms Pinky CDJ control signal.
gavspav wrote: If so how?
However you can approximate the way it used to be by scrubbing the rate input. If you send updates to the rate input at very short intervals (less than 20 msec) then you will get close to being as good as it was with the old objects. But it still won't be nearly as good as with an actual turntable or CDJ.
gavspav wrote: And please don't let it be sample the cd timecode and scrub the file cos I am thinking of it!
I didn't say that ;-)
gavspav wrote: Also can I ask - is there complex processing at work which makes the scratch more realistic than say scrubbing the playback speed in max? Or is the end result the same?
The only difference is the time granularity of the updates to the rate setting, plus the fact that the updates take place inside the audio thread and are timed exactly on sample intervals. If you have an actual signal input that you're using to scratch, the object updates the rate value every 32 samples exactly. So if you update the rate input ever couple of milliseconds, you should get approximately the same result, but it won't be exact. And as I said previously, you'll never get as good a result as you get with scratching an actual Ms Pinky vinyl on the turntable (or CDJ).