Maxi patch AO midi question.

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
Zargak
Maxi patch AO midi question.

Post by Zargak » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:09 am

Hi.

What perameters should I adjust to fix this problem?

I have a 5 second clip playing in resolume and midi out assigned to this clips playback position from Maxi patch AO. When I play the tcv it takes approx 3 rotations of the vynil to complete the playback of the clip, but if I rewind the tcv it takes 6 backward rotations to scrub back to the start again.

This causes really bad drift when scratching also.

Secondly, when looking in Maxi patch at the little black (playback position) dot in the vynil/cd play control tab, I noticed a similar amount of drift, placing my finger at the exact point the dot is displayed and rewinding, it takes only 8-10 rotations before the dot has drifted to the complete oposite side of the record to my finger.

Thirdly, the clip I'm trigering does not respond to fast spins of the vynil in either direction, it seems as though there is a maximum speed that cannot be exceded by the Maxi patch output, nor does it play at a faster or slower speed when the deck is switched between 33rpm and 45rpm.

Here's all the technical settings and data I can provide.

Maxi patch settings:

Vynil mode = Absolute.

midi pitch set to linier.

tcks p r approx 128

message intervals 5 ms

Resolume settings

Mode = Relative.

Step 7.000

Range 0.00-7800.00

The only other midi settings available in resolume for clip playback are:

Absolute

Relative 0 -12

Neither of these settings seem to allow reverse playback, reversing the deck simply pauses the clip.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:18 pm

Z-

Please describe in more detail your audio system setup. What computer? Which soundcard? Turntable?

What are the "error metric" readings that you observe in Maxi-Patch? If you have a proper audio signal chain going from your turntable into your soundcard, and provided your soundcard is one that is suitable for use with Ms Pinky, you should see error metric readings no higher than around 0.5. The fact that you're seeing the drift of the position indicator in Maxi-Patch suggests that you do not have the audio input properly configured to enable tight position tracking of the vinyl.
Zargak

Post by Zargak » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:08 pm

Sure thing.

Technics 1210 turntable.
Stanton RM~3s mixer
Emu-0404 sound card
Duel Radion ~ HD 4870's graphics cards
XP64 OS
8gig Ram
Itel core2duo 3ghz Processor.

Error metric reading approx 0.2

EDD:

I'm not so worried about the drift, the main problem is that with Resolume clips set to Relative (64 ~ 65) I have no speed control. the clips appear to only move ~ Forward - Stop - backwards, but without control over the playback speed it's not possible to scratch, it's more like a scrub, spinbacks will not work, pitch stops will not work the playback simply stops where as it should slow down gradually, likewise with spinbacks the clip should rewind quickly, as it stands it just scrubs backwards at it's own speed regardless of vynil movement.

The other clip settings in Resolume are, Absolute or Relative (0 ~ 127) and neither of these are allowing backward playback :(

OK I'll keep trying using the other two settings, sorry for the fuss but any tips would be appreciated.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi Z-

It's still mysterious to me why you get so much drift in Maxi-Patch itself. I seem to recall a lot of problems with the E-mu soundcard and that is why it is not on our list of recommended audio cards for use with Ms Pinky. For the best results, I'd recommend either a FireWire interface (Motu 828, etc..) or a high-quality USB interface like the M-Audio Conectiv.

As far as the response that Resolume gives (or fails to give) to the MIDI control messages sent by Maxi-Patch, I would recommend the following experiment: Using another (not Maxi-Patch) MIDI control device, see if you get the desired results with Resolume. If another MIDI control device works, then use a MIDI monitoring utility (e.g. Midi-ox) to check the range of control values that are sent by the controller that works the way you want it to. Then make adjustments in Maxi-Patch so that it puts out that same range of control values. This should be quite easy to check.

-DLP
Zargak

Post by Zargak » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm Pretty sure Resolume have a bug here actually, When set to Relative mode (0 ~ 127) their clips freeze unless set to loop and when set to loop their clips do not respond to midi, this is the same whatever app is sending the midi be it a daw or Maxi but only happens in Relative (0 ~ 127) mode. Absolute mode also seems to be playing up, occaisionally bombing so I'll bring it to their attention and in the mean time look at using osc instead.

IMO E-mu are a good make, their soundcards are extreamly stable and pack some pretty serious processing so I wouldn't write them off, however I've been testing with several cards/drivers so I may be wrong about the drift, indeed when I just tested this with the E-mu it wasn't as bad, the dot drifted to the other side of the deck after about 20 rotations which seems acceptable for small scratches etc.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:27 am

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms